Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone ever received a new Tanfoglio like this?

FALAR

So I picked up my new Stock II today.

Immediately I noticed "man, this trigger is awful and gritty" then I went to drop the mag and it was gritty as well.

I broke the gun down and there was metallic dust everywhere, and I mean everywhere.  Some larger flakes as well.  I spent about 30m with compressed air trying to get it all, but some seemed stuck (oil/grease will do that) so I did a thorough flush with WD 40 to push it all out.

Some grit remains in the trigger and I suspect its because I can't really flush in between the trigger bar and the sides of the frame and there must still be metal dust in there.

I only have one other Tanfoglio (a Stock III) and it most certainly did not arrive like this.  I am not the type to want to tear down the frame to its base components (too much of a PITA for my limited patience) and found it odd to arrive with so much metal dust inside.

I'm also going to check the barrel fitment because the rear most lug has the tiniest little sliver of wear already just from the test firing.  Gun was made just last month.

Honestly nothing surprises me with Tanfoglio, my trigger was very gritty until I took all the parts out and polished them to a mirror, 

I had to send my stock III back twice because the special edition nickel finish was terrible, the first gun I could scratch off with a fingernail, second gun looked the texture of leather and was really bumpy, and the third gun looked good and has been holding up great, they do take a lot elbow grease to get them where you want it seems.

And here I was thinking "damn these guns are the best kept secrets $/quality" so I was kind of surprised.

Not only that.........I don't see how much metal dust could have got in here to begin with.  It's like every component was dipped in it.

21 minutes ago, FALAR said:

And here I was thinking "damn these guns are the best kept secrets $/quality" so I was kind of surprised.

My Stock 2 is a great gun, but the trigger was awful when I got it. I’m like you and expected at least a decent one like that on the Shadow 2. Nope.

With a box of parts from Patriot Defense and a lot of time spent watching MemphisMechanic’s YouTube series, the gun is very nice now and the trigger is just how I like it. 

http://i64.tinypic.com/2il0l7p.jpg[/IMG]

So I tried to get a pic of the last part I hadn't cleaned yet.

I know it may look like "carbon" fouling but if you look on the lower half you should be able to see that it is metal shavings or metal dust of some sort.

Almost like they MPI'd the entire gun and left the particles on it.

Edited by FALAR

1 hour ago, Polymer said:

That's awful. Not like it'll really help but did you call EAA to see what they will say.

No.....I mean, I know what the issue is.  A bunch of metallic dust and shavings all over everything.

From another thread if I sent it in to them and they detail stripped the frame it appears they may not even re-assemble it right.

Cleaning what I could without detail stripping the frame didn't do the trick though.  I can still feel grit in the trigger or when cocking the hammer.  I think the frame is just going to have to be detail stripped.

21 minutes ago, FALAR said:

Cleaning what I could without detail stripping the frame didn't do the trick though.  I can still feel grit in the trigger or when cocking the hammer.  I think the frame is just going to have to be detail stripped.

The good lord is trying to tell you to do through polishing job on it by forcing you to take it apart. ;) 

Haha......I'm not much of DIY'er.

I have limited patience and tend to get frustrated and break things.  Grips, hammers, hammer springs are about the extent of modifications I do on pistols.  Small parts can really, really push my buttons.

I just can't believe how much metallic dust and flakes were in this gun.  I suspect the barrel fit too since the most breechward lug has a very small amount of wear already just from the test firing.  I did the sharpie trick Johnbu recommended and of course, that spot with the wear was the shiniest and most free of the marker.

I might just send it out for work and this will be the excuse.  If it weren't for the debris I don't know if I would even describe the trigger as "bad".  Like my stock III the SA even feels light.  The uneven nature of the DA pull is what gets me (man is it bad compared to say, a Beretta with some good work done) but even then the overall pull weight isn't enormous.

Edited by FALAR

It would be interesting to try and find out what happened after the gun was assembled. It is hard to imagine someone assembling the gun with dirty parts.

10 hours ago, FALAR said:

I have limited patience and tend to get frustrated and break things.  Grips, hammers, hammer springs are about the extent of modifications I do on pistols.  Small parts can really, really push my buttons.

That is a choice not an affliction. Not ragging on you if you choose not to fix it, but it is rewarding and eventually people you know will start to think you are smarter than you are because you can fix things and know how to attack problems. I think the first rule is do not try to push through a job when you are mad at it, fix the mad at it part and then go back and look at what you are doing. 

7 hours ago, yigal said:

sorry to hear this . but the all tanfo's  they sent to my country  was perfect. i checked the all batch.

i don't know why they send to U.S  guns in this condition.

I've seen issues posted online of other guns with issues out of the box.

I had to send a Beretta back recently that came with an un-staked extractor pin.

But......metallic dust and flakes all inside the gun is a headscratching "WTF" from me.  I don't even know how that happens.

Hate to say this, but If you are not somewhat of a DIY'er and small little parts frustrate you, my dude you may have purchased the wrong gun in the Tanfoglio Stock 2. These babies are a labor of love and for the sake of tuning and reliability will require you to strip them down to bare frame, often.

Good news is, someone on here has already been through and fixed what you are now and eventually will be experiencing - We are here to help!

The trick is to learn the process early, once you realize how few parts and steps there really are it simply becomes a non-issue and you are free to tinker as you please to get it to run how you want it to.

But...If that all sounds like hell to you - you can always sell it - in most cases, for a profit!

Looks like someone dropped it in the dust bin. 

I'd try this....

Take off the grips. Remove the slide.    Take the frame part outside and really hose it out with a full can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Use the little straw and get in every nook and cranny. Move the hammer, trigger, etc. Really get the parts under the sear cage and in the hammer spring area. Then lube it good. I use 5w30 on most parts, grease ob the rails.

Watch those videos a few times. When you get your courage up, give it a whirl. The "frustrating" areas are the sear pack if it has a 2 piece sear and the trigger bar lifter.  sadly, polishing that lifter is one of the most important areas for a smooth trigger. No worries if you get stuck. Just drop a line here and plenty will assist.

3 hours ago, chaserracer said:

strip them down to bare frame, often.

Still haven't done this with my match gun since putting in all the PD goodies, not a ridiculous number of rounds on it but probably 20,000 ish and most of that with titegroup which is thought to be dirty. 

Really, after you get through what can be considerable new gun pains I am not seeing a reason for anything special regarding maintenance except that I need to clean around the extractor area about every 5000 rounds. Have switched to power pistol powder so I am curious to see if the extractor area will still get gummed up. Hammer springs weaken over time and I have had to install a couple of them. 

On 12/27/2018 at 6:01 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

and most of that with titegroup which is thought to be dirty

Ha! But it is dirty! Dirty, hot, and accurate that is. I've started to use Sport Pistol, and while relatively clean, is no more accurate than Titegroup in my 9's.

I haven't taken my Limited apart yet (beyond field striping) but as I'm more than comfortable taking a 2011 down to the smallest part, I'll manage.

I understand the aggravation of the OP in finding a new toy in the shape described. I'd be tempted to stick it in my ultrasonic cleaner. 

5 hours ago, dhdeal said:

I haven't taken my Limited apart yet (beyond field striping) but as I'm more than comfortable taking a 2011 down to the smallest part, I'll manage.

With Tanfo's and CZ's you learn about using slave pins for the sear cage and installing the trigger. Lots of good how to info out there, I agree, you will manage. 

Like the OP, this was my first personal awakening too into Tanfoglios. The ones I tried from other shooters on the range felt nice. I eventually saved up my milk money and bought a Limited Custom expecting it to be awesome out of the box. Holy crud, that had to be one of THE grittiest triggers out of all the guns I owned. About 5hrs of polishing and a few hundred $$ later in Xtreme parts, it's where I imagined what it should have been for a $2K pistol. 

My Shadow 2 was way better out of the box and with a shorter reset. Sometimes I wished I had waited for a CZ Orange in 40SW to come into stock. 

Edited by Trinimon

If the trigger was just a little gritty and rough, that'd be one thing.

But the metal dust and shavings to me were alarming because of the damage they can cause.  Hence why I still haven't fired the gun out of fear of what may be down in the frame's recesses.