Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Stable Carbon Fiber Handguard?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a Coda to try out and I'm really liking it. It ticks all the right boxes for me. Smaller OD than most tube style handguards, hexagonal shape, mount doesn't require the barrel nut to be timed, and it just looks very clean and refined. Little details like the aluminum cap/ring at the end so it's not just bare carbon really help make it feel like a step above.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I don’t think you can beat the Smoke personally, very strong feels great in your hand . And unlike the coda no trunion much cleaner and easier to install. I just ordered another one today for my 22 AR . Great people to deal with !!
The trunnion is what sold me on the coda. It's so much easier than having to time a barrel nut with shims or improper torque to get holes to line up. Just torque the nut, slide on the trunnion, and attach the handguard. Easiest install I've had short of a BCM.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, TNREDNECK said:

I don’t think you can beat the Smoke personally, very strong feels great in your hand …

3 hours ago, TNREDNECK said:

There are no shims, it was so easy torqued it down and tightened just a touch more done 5 mins .

Can you describe the installation?  Does the sleeve fit over the barrel nut but under the handguard?

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Smoke Composites.  Running a front handgrip on the hand guard, I prefer that the M-Lok cuts on the bottom to be close to the mag well.  John made sure that I got the 10" PCC version of the hand guard even though it was not on the website (it is now!!).  Have ordered the grip, buttstock, cheek riser, spacer tube,  buffer plate and the enhanced buttplate upgrade.  Everything fit perfectly and ordered another stock and buttplate upgrade for the backup PCC.  Knocking 20% off cinched the deal!

On 12/26/2018 at 10:19 AM, jkrispies said:

Well Mark Isler is certainly well loved!   It looks like his forearms are only available in 2”.  I'm looking for something thinner.  Anybody handled a Smoke Composites PCC Handguard?  

wow $193 for a 15" PCC carbon rail that weights barely 6 oz with barrel nut? I love my Iron City Berserker but damn that's tempting...

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

For those of you running a CODA carbon fiber hand guard:  how many MLOK slots are milled at the 6 o'clock position? I'm looking at either the 15" or 13.5" to run on my 16" 3 Gun rifle.  (I want to mount an Area 419 ARCA Swiss rail and it needs 7 open MLOKS to mate correctly.)

Edited by GSonnen
  • 1 month later...
On 4/2/2019 at 12:19 PM, BillChunn said:

Another vote for Smoke Composites.  Running a front handgrip on the hand guard, I prefer that the M-Lok cuts on the bottom to be close to the mag well.  John made sure that I got the 10" PCC version of the hand guard even though it was not on the website (it is now!!).  Have ordered the grip, buttstock, cheek riser, spacer tube,  buffer plate and the enhanced buttplate upgrade.  Everything fit perfectly and ordered another stock and buttplate upgrade for the backup PCC.  Knocking 20% off cinched the deal!

Hi Bill, on the 10" PCC handguard couple of questions:

1.  What length barrel is it over?

2.  Did you get it without the rails on top or with?

3. If with and it's on a PCC can you send pictures or post?  I want to see how it looks since on their site it says the following.
**Please Note: Top Rails installed on a PCC Handguard will not line up with the flat top on the upper receiver.

thanks

Edited by Tech_Mex_27
11 hours ago, Tech_Mex_27 said:

Hi Bill, on the 10" PCC handguard couple of questions:

1.  What length barrel is it over?

2.  Did you get it without the rails on top or with?

3. If with and it's on a PCC can you send pictures or post?  I want to see how it looks since on their site it says the following.
**Please Note: Top Rails installed on a PCC Handguard will not line up with the flat top on the upper receiver.

thanks

1.  14.5" barrel with welded comp for 16.1" total

2.  Without

3.  Attached

BC

Blue_Carbine2.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
CODA Evolution sells poorly engineered, low quality parts, then disappears when you ask for them support.

Purchased their handguard, had it professionally installed by a gunsmith, and have had endless problems with it. First it spins, then it slips forward, then the trunnion deforms and the carbon tube gets stuck in place. Just a horrible design and horrible quality parts.

I have contacted the company requesting support 4 times, they have not responded since the first attempt. Since then they have completely ignored my pleas for help. They clearly do not care about their customers or the fact that they sell garbage products. They are preying on the fact that most buyers will be collecting parts from various places and will be out of date range to issue a credit card charge back before the customer discovers the utter junk that CODA sold them.

Avoid this company like the plague! If you want a carbon fiber handguard look to their competitors that offer quality products and stand behind them like : Mark Isler Customs, Lancer Systems, or Brigand Arms.