Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
jkrispies

Most Stable Carbon Fiber Handguard?

For people who have experience handling multiple handguards...  Who makes the most stable, thin diameter carbon fiber forearm?  What I’m really asking is:  who makes the best base?  I know that they probably all just slip on, but I’ve seen some move around quite a bit if you test up near the end of the barrel.  I don’t think the flex was in the carbon fiber itself, but rather it was at the slip-on base, which needed more support beyond the slip-on pressure.  Thanks, J 

Mark Isler hands down with Isler Custom 

They are rock solid and he makes them for multiple types of guns. 

9 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Mark Isler hands down with Isler Custom 

They are rock solid and he makes them for multiple types of guns. 

I have an isler on my MPX and can attest that it is extremely well made and solid. 

Hello: I am using a Mark Isler on my MPX and Taccom on my AR9. Both are very stable and work great. Thanks, Eric

Well Mark Isler is certainly well loved!   It looks like his forearms are only available in 2”.  I'm looking for something thinner.  Anybody handled a Smoke Composites PCC Handguard?  

6 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Well Mark Isler is certainly well loved!   It looks like his forearms are only available in 2”.  I'm looking for something thinner.  Anybody handled a Smoke Composites PCC Handguard?  

A friend has a prototype 1.75” smoke composites handguard

its awesome, will likely be my next handguard, just need to decide on the length and slot pattern

If you prefer the smaller diameter, the new Smoke Composites one is the best design IMO. I have an Isler on my MPX and tried the new (smaller diameter) design from Smoke on an AR9 I have. I prefer the larger diameter, so I ended up not using the smaller one. It just comes down to personal preference.

I use the Coda Evolution. 1.85"
Rock solid mounting. Barrel nut. Followed by a trunnion that the CF slides on.. Love it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some great suggestions here, guys!  I’ve now got a Smoke Composites inbound. It will be awhile as I’m on the part-a-month plan, and this is part #1, but I’ll give an update eventually.  

Edited by jkrispies

I have handle a couple and I like the Taccom the most because of the solidness of the tube without feeling cheap heavy and flimsy.  It is a good balance.  It’s lightweight underlies structural integrity.

I also have the Taccom handguard and like it...  It only has one screw, but works well if you use Blue Loctite on it...

Smoke Composites are the best all around in my opinion. They have six (6) screws that attach it. 

0F95C49A-0162-4641-9438-1A5DCC69B43C.jpeg

Edited by Hallz

I've got to say....smoke makes a very nice CF hand guard!! No argument there at all.....some day, I would love to do the milling that they do on the CF tube, maybe 2019? (who knows).

The taccom CF HG.......is held on with one screw, but the fit of the tube to the nut is dang near a line on line fit, and the bearing surface is long, which is why it doesn't wobble and is also why you only need one screw to hold it in place. Some still can't get a handle on that (it's ok) and add 1 or 2 more screws once they get it. But one is all you need.........and they work fine, are light, small dia (if you like that) and very inexpensive.

Still......the smoke looks nice!!

Tim

8 hours ago, Hallz said:

Smoke Composites are the best all around in my opinion. They have six (6) screws that attach it. 

0F95C49A-0162-4641-9438-1A5DCC69B43C.jpeg

Man, there's a whole lot of Carbon Fiber in that photo!  Nice!!!

59 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Man, there's a whole lot of Carbon Fiber in that photo!  Nice!!!

I like Carbon Fiber!

hahaha

9A57E5D2-697B-47A1-BBD4-3503E983DF18.jpeg

I don't have a lot of experience with CF handguards. 

I only have the Taccom, and I gotta say, I'm very impressed with it, so much so that I have it on my PCC and my .22 steel challenge rifle. 

It feels as solid as any aluminum handguard.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:48 PM, Matt1911 said:

I don't have a lot of experience with CF handguards. 

I only have the Taccom, and I gotta say, I'm very impressed with it, so much so that I have it on my PCC and my .22 steel challenge rifle. 

It feels as solid as any aluminum handguard.

I think carbon fiber is stronger than aluminum. 

I’ve had a brigand arms for over a year and it’s solid as they come 

13 minutes ago, SpaceMan said:

I’ve had a brigand arms for over a year and it’s solid as they come 

It’s awesome. 4.6oz makes it insanely light.

I’ve got one in the classifieds now. 😁👍

I've been really happy with my Coda 13.5" handguard. Very light at only 7.5oz, which includes the barrel nut and trunnion.

Coda Handguard.jpeg

Edited by Meathead_67

What color are the islercustom carbon fiber handguards - on their website some of them look bronze/brown

also, it doesn't list any weights