Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Stable Carbon Fiber Handguard?

For people who have experience handling multiple handguards...  Who makes the most stable, thin diameter carbon fiber forearm?  What I’m really asking is:  who makes the best base?  I know that they probably all just slip on, but I’ve seen some move around quite a bit if you test up near the end of the barrel.  I don’t think the flex was in the carbon fiber itself, but rather it was at the slip-on base, which needed more support beyond the slip-on pressure.  Thanks, J 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Well Mark Isler is certainly well loved!   It looks like his forearms are only available in 2”.  I'm looking for something thinner.  Anybody handled a Smoke Composites PCC Handguard?  

A friend has a prototype 1.75” smoke composites handguard

its awesome, will likely be my next handguard, just need to decide on the length and slot pattern

If you prefer the smaller diameter, the new Smoke Composites one is the best design IMO. I have an Isler on my MPX and tried the new (smaller diameter) design from Smoke on an AR9 I have. I prefer the larger diameter, so I ended up not using the smaller one. It just comes down to personal preference.

I've got to say....smoke makes a very nice CF hand guard!! No argument there at all.....some day, I would love to do the milling that they do on the CF tube, maybe 2019? (who knows).

The taccom CF HG.......is held on with one screw, but the fit of the tube to the nut is dang near a line on line fit, and the bearing surface is long, which is why it doesn't wobble and is also why you only need one screw to hold it in place. Some still can't get a handle on that (it's ok) and add 1 or 2 more screws once they get it. But one is all you need.........and they work fine, are light, small dia (if you like that) and very inexpensive.

Still......the smoke looks nice!!

Tim

I don't have a lot of experience with CF handguards. 

I only have the Taccom, and I gotta say, I'm very impressed with it, so much so that I have it on my PCC and my .22 steel challenge rifle. 

It feels as solid as any aluminum handguard.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:48 PM, Matt1911 said:

I don't have a lot of experience with CF handguards. 

I only have the Taccom, and I gotta say, I'm very impressed with it, so much so that I have it on my PCC and my .22 steel challenge rifle. 

It feels as solid as any aluminum handguard.

I think carbon fiber is stronger than aluminum. 

• 2 weeks later...