Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

30 LPI slide serrations

3GN

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2020 at 1:24 PM, ltdmstr said:

Anyone can do 30 lpi checkering on the slide.  But it's not a good idea to copy that exact design, with the angle, ball cut borders, etc.  If you want it exactly like what's in the photo, you should have Don/Kodiak do it.

Anyone can’t do it... I try more than 1 1/2 to find anyone who can do it, find only 1 guy who can do it straight not angled . I’m not interested to copy design just need checkering like on picture

If vertical or vertically angled, clamp a guide plate to the slide and go to town.  Horizontal requires a riffling file, or break a bit off the 30lpi file and weld a handle.  Vertical or angled is more than enough, skateboard tape works too.  

By your question, I assume you've never checkered before.  Practice on aluminum or any other soft metal.  Get the lines scratched in as a guide and cut evenly.  Overlap by a few lines and work to full width of desired cut.  Don't try for full depth in one shot, work the depth evenly over the entire cut.  Keep the file flat to the working surface, push in the direction of cut.  If the file chatters, ease off the pressure.  Files cut in one direction, dragging it back thru the cut dulls a file.  Keep the cut area clean, excessive swarf also causes file wear.  Bench and holding device (vice) should be very stable, rocking is not good.  This may seem a lot to absorb, give it a try.  Learn how to DIY, expand your skill set.  Years ago at the Long Beach Police Range, SSA was the resident USPSA Club.  Dennis Cruz and I showed new shooters how to do quickie trigger jobs for free.  Sharing tribal knowledge is key to our sport.