Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm six shot moonclip checker

uncledoc

I have a GP100 38/357 6-shot revolver that I had rechambered to 9mm and cut for moonclips; thus my need for a moonclip checker.  I checked the normal revolver vendors, but I have not been able to locate the item.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a 9mm 6-shot moonclip checker?

Thanks . . .

13 minutes ago, alecmc said:

Check with TK CUSTOM, it might take a phone call to have a 6 shot 38 version reamed out to 9mm. 

I emailed TK Custom and they did not have one.  I do like your suggestion about mondifying a 38 special checker.  Thanks!

True but you should be performing your checks at home, and then transfering to a box for transportation.  When I used moonclips I stored them, loaded, in a Plano tackle box.

j7QGk8T.jpg

wU21XRO.jpg

Edited by RePete

1 hour ago, RePete said:

True but you should be performing your checks at home, and then transfering to a box for transportation.  When I used moonclips I stored them, loaded, in a Plano tackle box.

j7QGk8T.jpg

wU21XRO.jpg

Sure, but not everyone likes to load up 50 moonclips before a match. For preference sake, or moonclips affordablilty , etc

I prefer to load as I go during the match,in which case a moon checker is where it's at.

Im also an advocate of double checking every moon, regardless if you checked at home already, right before it goes on to your belt. It's just good practice

16 minutes ago, alecmc said:

Sure, but not everyone likes to load up 50 moonclips before a match. For preference sake, or moonclips affordablilty , etc

I prefer to load as I go during the match,in which case a moon checker is where it's at.

Im also an advocate of double checking every moon, regardless if you checked at home already, right before it goes on to your belt. It's just good practice

There is truth there but 45 'clips were cheap ($12.50/25) then.  I have a moonclip conditioner, and one the clips were checked, they went into the box and there was never an issue.

15 hours ago, RePete said:

j7QGk8T.jpg

wU21XRO.jpg

I like the storage container idea.   Thanks for the photo  . . . I appreciate it.

j7QGk8T.jpg
wU21XRO.jpg
I check them at home when I load them. I check my clips again when they go on my belt, and the unused ones after each stage. Bent clips can happen at the range if you drop one or bump into something with your loaded belt.

1 hour ago, ZackJones said:

How many moon clips fit in that case and do you have a model number for it?

I can fit 48 929 moons in a Plano 3700 if you put them sideways. 36 if they're right side up. One less if I put my moon checker in with them.

Not everyone uses garbage moons either. I'll take 6 good ones over 50 junk ones any day. Especially at $8 a pop.

I double check now. I didn't use to, I learned my lesson.

8 hours ago, ZackJones said:

used thhem 

It held 66 loaded 'clips (45ACP). I don't remember the PN, but I'm not home (with the Grand Kids) but will try to get it or at least the dimensions.

Swordfish:

They weren't junky 'clips just in expensive - came from California Competition works.  I think I had 200.

If they dropped,  I picked them up and put them in the spent case bag, then at home stripped them and checked.  Never had a problem with them.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:11 AM, RePete said:

used thhem 

It held 66 loaded 'clips (45ACP). I don't remember the PN, but I'm not home (with the Grand Kids) but will try to get it or at least the dimensions.

Swordfish:

They weren't junky 'clips just in expensive - came from California Competition works.  I think I had 200.

If they dropped,  I picked them up and put them in the spent case bag, then at home stripped them and checked.  Never had a problem with them.

Ah yeah maybe the 45 clips are different. I know with 929 clips you gotta fit them to brass, and you have to get good thick ones otherwise they let the ammo flop around and they don't load worth a crap. TK is really the only 929 clip guy out there, but supposedly Revolver Supply is starting to make .040" ones now. Dunno about 25 clips, I played with some one time once but have no real experience. Also 627 clips are definitely different when you start getting into the premium ones and sorting brass by extractor groove. My buddy has 1 TK that he uses as a reload for classifiers and a bunch of other not as great ones from various manufacturers for stages. Some are better than others. I just sort of figured 25s were the same, and if you've never played with a premium one with fitted brass then you don't know how big of a difference it is. But again, Smith 25s with 45ACP could be a different animal. I'm not about to spend $80 to find out.

You are forgetting DAA .40 929 moons.  We’ve got 100, well 98 now.  At 1/3 the cost of TK but without the laser engraving.  Don’t get me wrong I like the tk ones (Ely gave me a pack at cost) but I’ve had rounds fall out of them.  The DAA work with Blazer, FC and WIN (provided they are not nickel).

I did pick up a free pack as a table prize at the irc from..... not sure brand....they stick like mad to the magnetic posts but I can bend them in half.  They sit in a drawer.

6 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

You are forgetting DAA .40 929 moons.  We’ve got 100, well 98 now.  At 1/3 the cost of TK but without the laser engraving.  Don’t get me wrong I like the tk ones (Ely gave me a pack at cost) but I’ve had rounds fall out of them.  The DAA work with Blazer, FC and WIN (provided they are not nickel).

I did pick up a free pack as a table prize at the irc from..... not sure brand....they stick like mad to the magnetic posts but I can bend them in half.  They sit in a drawer.

I have rounds fall out of TK so I check them. But I've tried others besides the DAA with much worse results. I double check too, but it's usually just Federal that fall out so for the longest time I thought Federal was too small. The DAA are smaller than the TK from what I'm told and they look different in the pictures, as Win brass won't really fit TK clips, or it sometimes does but the QC or tolerances are off. I bought 200 Win cases brand new and now I look to pick them out when I can because they usually don't pass the checker.

Jagemann brass is really good though, and very consistent, but the neck tension is super freaking tight so it's best to use a bit of lube I guess.

George at Revolver Supply has had the .040 moonclips for a few years, I got some from him 2-3 years ago at Berry's Steel Match, they will not work with all brass but I have 1-2000 9's that do work well, but I have to use the moonclip tool to put them in, then I have other brass that is to tight to work with the .040, but they work great with the .035's and I can moon them by hand, but still have to use a demooner to remove them. MickeyScuba the clips that you got at IRC I believe are Ranch Products, I have some of those also that I use for practice and Steel Challenge where I don't have to load on the clock.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:17 AM, alecmc said:

I hate to take the time to re-moon during a match, rather b.s. and maybe even work a little, and I know Murphy is always watching me. 

I know 100 of the quality tight moon clips are almost the cost of the pistol, but equals only 5 or 6 hi cap mags.  

On 12/27/2018 at 8:43 PM, ZackJones said:

The one I use, Plano 3600,  holds 6 rows of 4 equals 192 rounds of 38 short colt 8 rd moons.  They are small enough to fit in the CED bag.