Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP buffer and spring recommendations?

Now that I have my 9mm PCC up and running like a sewing machine with the JP .308 spring and Blitzkreig buffer, I am looking at my .45 ACP.  It has always had a standard 5.56 carbine buffer and spring because that was all that was available when it was made.  Now I have more choices.  Since the recoil impulse on a .45 is different than a 9mm, is that a consideration on springs and buffers?   By comparison my .45 always shot softer than the 9mm until I swapped out the contents of the buffer tube on the 9mm, so I am wondering if the same parts I put in the 9mm are going to work or if something else is better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: I think it will depend what power factor your loads are. 130PF 45acp loads will need lighter spring and buffer setup. Since you have the parts for your 9mm why not try them in your 45 setup? I am planning on running a heavier buffer spring for my 40 setup with the same buffer as my 9mm. Thanks, Eric

Winchester white box 230 ball, usually around 185pf out of my 1911, slightly more out of the rifle.

I have not had good luck with reloads on PCC's. 

I did try the setup out of the 9 mm....and then I tried the spring and buffer individually with the existing other piece.   Then I tried the flat wire spring that's supposably slightly less than 308 spring.  I even tried a stock 9mm heavy buffer with a standard spring.  Nothing works reliably except the standard light carbine buffer and a standard carbine spring.

Edited by barrysuperhawk

I've been running mine (TACCOM 3 stage recoil system with the SS kit) since day one on mine.......over 7000 factory rounds (full boat federal 230 ball ammo) with zero hick ups.....oh yea, blew out a hyperfire trigger and full auto too.....now THAT was fun!!

• 1 year later...

I built an ar 40 with a 4" barrel. It keeps jamming. Any recommendations on a spring and buffer weight, and extended buffer or not?

I also built an 45 version with a 10.5 in barrel. It was doing the same thing. I put a heaffer buffer in it and it was almost like an automatic. Im down to about 7oz now, and its better. Should I go lower, and what spring?

• 1 year later...

I’m running into cycling issues with a QC10 45acp 7.5 Barrel I’ve built.  Tried several different buffer weights and carbine springs.  Going to go heavy with a red springco heavy spring and the QC10 buffer kit, hopefully I can get this thing to cycle correctly.  Any suggestions?

My own experience with my .45 is this: I use a standard carbine buffer and a standard carbine spring, and I replace the buffer every 1000 rounds or so because the soft bit gets chewed up.  Nothing else works reliably and I am shooting mostly WWB factory that, comparatively speaking are quite hot, running 190+ PF out of a 5" 1911.  It seems that what works with 9mm (heavier springs and buffers) is not so nice to .45acp.

I always meant to get one of Rudy's DI uppers (Macon Armory), but I have never plinked down the $$ and settled in for the wait...

Edited by barrysuperhawk