Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open matches vs Steel

TANFARM

Do folks that shoot traditional USPSA matches and Super or Outlaw steel use the same loads??

Im considering setting up one open for steel with Minor loads and other Major.

Anyone shoot strictly Minor for steel matches.... can’t see any advantage of Major.  Straighten me out..... 

I shoot my major rounds regardless of the kind or match. Steel, bianchi, steel challenge, etc. It is just practice for me. 

I used to have 2 loads and even had a steel gun built. Now only shoot major and have two identical major guns. 

Edited by echotango

I tried shooting my USPSA Open major loads at my first Steel Challenge.  I knew then it was a mistake.  I tried it one more time when I had back to back Steel - USPSA matches.  It is still not for me.  If I could get my Open guns to run reliably at less than 160PF, I'd try them again for steel.  Now I just use a different gun and 126PF ammo.

I'm just finishing up another Open gun.  I'm going to shoot for reliability around the 145/150PF level.  If I can achieve that, I'll try it for steel and USPSA minor. Or maybe I'll change springs and shoot minor/major.  I want to try the one gun for everything concept again.  As it stands, I have to have a couple days of dry fire when changing guns.  Otherwise I play find the dot.

17 hours ago, TANFARM said:

Do folks that shoot traditional USPSA matches and Super or Outlaw steel use the same loads??

Im considering setting up one open for steel with Minor loads and other Major.

Anyone shoot strictly Minor for steel matches.... can’t see any advantage of Major.  Straighten me out..... 

Anybody that really cares or focuses on the steel sports will be shooting a steel gun and a steel load.  Guys that are setup for USPSA and just dabble in steel will shoot whatever runs.  

I like to have a steel recipe on call for any falling steel matches I stumble into, but have admittedly been stuck shooting USPSA major a few times at such events.

Hello: Same gun and powder drop just use lighter bullets for shooting steel matches. 171-173PF for USPSA matches and 141-147PF with lighter bullets for steel. That way the pistol feels almost the same and you have the velocity to knock down the steel. Steel challenge loads will sometimes not knock down steel. Thanks, Eric

i shoot a cz czechmate open gun and it'll run on nearly anything, though i havent tried ultra light steel type loads. for falling steel or games where only one shot per target is required i may use my MPX pcc loads as sometimes its easier to 'hop' the dot between targets with a cadence, otherwise it's proper major loads for everything or if i havent loaded pcc in a while.