Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noon on Christmas Eve. Beautiful weather.

Go to a major name brand car lot to test drive two cars we are interested in. 

Drive up and they are open; gates are open, doors are open, people around doing car lot stuff. 

Walk inside and things are a little more quiet/ghost town-ish. Find a guy who says "We are closed and have been for a couple hours." 

And......that's it. He walks away; NOT "Sorry we are closing but let me get your contact info...." or "Hey we are about close but let me give you a business card."

Anybody else think this is poor sales-fu? Would love to hear from someone in the industry. 

From someone in the industry, that's pretty poor.  I'd send a note to the management or dealer expressing your disappointment in how you were greeted. No reason for them not to be cheery, or at least offer to show you around the lot on the 26th, even if they were closing.

I wouldn't mind buying a CAR from you Eddie.....it's the bodies in the trunk that would be a turn off. 

@sfinney I thought so too; again, I fully understand wanting to get home for Xmas Eve, but five seconds of followup would have been reasonable. 

51 minutes ago, lefty o said:

in the last 15-20yrs dealership sales people have really changed. used to be you had to beat them off with a stick, now seems they really dont care to be bothered.

This is not limited to just car dealerships.  I can think of half a dozen businesses that I have visited in the past six months that exhibited the "don't care to be bothered" attitude.  Unfortunate, but it seems to be more normal these days.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I had the following experience a few years ago and still can't believe it.  My father and I went to an Acura dealership on a Sunday afternoon to do a bit of car shopping.  Gates was open, lights were on, doors were open, but no one was around and alarm wasn't on.  We looked around the inside of the building and there were keys on the desks, the parts department gate was open, etc.,  it was like all the people just vanished.  After looking around outside and finding no one, we called a family friend who worked in the industry and they had the phone number of the businesses owner.  We were asked to wait till someone showed up and were happy to.  After about an hour of waiting and no one showing up, we called the State Police.  They showed up and waited with us till about 2 hours passed and the manager showed up.  They had no idea what happened, but saw nothing was stolen and said we should come back on Monday and speak to the owner.  We did so and the response we got was the most surprising thing, he said thanks and then excused himself!  Nothing like please take some money off a car, free oil change, nothing. The business is in an area with a fairly high crime rate and if we had been less honest people, we could have cleaned the place out.  Amazing.  We left after telling the manager, they absolutely lost a customer.