Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need some advice guys/gals.

Adrenaline

Ok, so I shoot Limited division right now and I do use Flock but will eventually end up in Open I am thinking.  I have a dilemma though.  I am just not sure glock is the right choice for a serious piece of gear for open or even limited divisions. For one the thing almost feels like a hand grenade that could go off any second if that makes any sense. I do not have the money yet but have been looking at a Cz tac sport or like a 2011 of some sort for limited or open.  I do take this sport pretty serious and am uncertain I am making good decisions by shooting glock. I think,  in my opinion for gaming an all metal gun is almost a must.  I don't know.  Looking for some good advice as I know I am in the right place. Thanks to all. 

It’s the wizard and not wand that matters most.  Give any real GM a Glock and in general  the difference will be unnoticeable to anyone but them in a week or so.  

It’s proven, Glocks can win world championships in every division but open.  Running a Glock in open reminds me of racing a Jetta in fast and the furious, yes it’s possible but it’s so far out of the basis of design that it’s not worth doing unless you have F U money, and then why bother asking the question.

if I started  shooting Lin again I wouldn’t hesitate leaving my 2011’s in the safe and shoot my Glocks because I’ve learned it’s pretty irrelevant at the end of the day

nice used 2011 open guns are available for a reasonable cost.

i.e 2400.00 up

BUT

then there is the gear: mags (3-500), holster 1-200) belt etc etc etc

Open is a blast but have 1000.00 buck ready after you buy the gun unless it comes with mags

8 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

I shoot Limited but will end up in Open. 

I have a dilemma though. I do not have the money yet. 

I do take this sport pretty serious 

If you do NOT have the $$$, stick to shooting what you have - no problem.   You will learn a LOT about shooting with a Glock.     :)

You should be able to get up to at least an A rating, if you are serious and do a LOT of Dry Firing,

take a lesson or two from a GM, and read a few good shooting books.

Start saving for a metal gun - put away $50/week and next year, you can move up to metal.     :) 

What is your current ranking, and how long have you been shooting Limited ?

Shoot your current glock in Limited or Production until you can afford a proper 2011.  You will appreciate the practice now, and having proper equipment in the "premier" divisions is a must.  

Now, yes, a GM can pick up any gun and shoot it well.  But you're not a GM.  To that end, If you're really concerned about it and don't already have too much invested into the Glock in terms of mags, holsters, etc., I would recommend selling/trading it for an M&P or Sig only because the Glock grip angle is different than a 2011 platform, and it would be better to train in something that's more similar to where you hope to eventually settle on in the end.  I'm not saying that an M&P shoots like a 2011, but IMHO the Glock grip angle is a big deal that might well be addressed sooner rather than later.

Now, if you want my real, real opinion, I'd get a 1911 and shoot Single Stack while you save up for the 2011.  In that case you'd really be training for the 2011 platform not only in terms of grip angle, but also safeties, mag release, trigger, magazine changes etc.  Also, very importantly, it will give you a better idea of how you'll want your 2011 set up when it comes time to start ordering parts for a custom gun.  If you get it in .40 then you can even start figuring out a a Limited .40 load that will translate directly to a 2011 platform.  The problem with this last glorious piece of advice, of course, is that 1911's can get pricey in and of themselves:  some might even argue that if you choose to go this route, you might as well jump directly into Limited.  I'd disagree with that... but then I'm a card-carrying Single Stack guy.  An M&P is a much more entry level choice that will allow you to start saving your pennies sooner. 

Edited by jkrispies

It all depends on your budget. None of those guns are going to make you better, but they are definitely better tools for the job.

Keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds here. I grabbed an SPS Limited gun with 4 mags for $1100. Pretty much a turn key package. Similar deals on Open guns can be had that way as well.

Shoot what you want man.

Hello: If you shoot open then you must reload. If you are going to shoot open then I would suggest getting a 9mm. Don't get a Glock for an Open pistol unless you plan on changing it out every 6 months or so if you shoot alot. I would get a used 2011 style pistol since there is lots of parts and lots of info on them. A used STI TruBor in 9mm will take you as far as you want to go. Lastly I would try to shoot an open pistol to make sure it will work for you. Some don't like the blast impulse or noise they make. Thanks, Eric

I would never shoot a Glock, but that is personal preference. Overall, it is not the gun, but the shooter that makes the difference. In my past, I know of two shooters that have shot Glocks at A to M Class capabilities. That is a decision however, which totally rests on you. If you want to go to the next level, training and practice beats out a new gun any time. 

I moved from a glock to a tactical sport in Limited. I had a case head separation in the glock that blew out a bunch of parts in pieces and it didn't feel too good on my hand. The glock wasn't 100% reliable either. For this reason I think striker fired pistols are best in production, because they are great guns when used as they were designed. Start adding crap all over and you get problems.
My suggestion is to skip the 2011s and shoot a czechmate in open or a tactical sport in Limited. The triggers are fantastic and they are crazy reliable. The safeties are in a position you will find more natural coming from a glock. It's just a matter of if they fit your hand well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

Ok, so I shoot Limited division right now and I do use Flock but will eventually end up in Open I am thinking.  I have a dilemma though.  I am just not sure glock is the right choice for a serious piece of gear for open or even limited divisions. For one the thing almost feels like a hand grenade that could go off any second if that makes any sense. I do not have the money yet but have been looking at a Cz tac sport or like a 2011 of some sort for limited or open.  I do take this sport pretty serious and am uncertain I am making good decisions by shooting glock. I think,  in my opinion for gaming an all metal gun is almost a must.  I don't know.  Looking for some good advice as I know I am in the right place. Thanks to all. 

Fwiw I'll try to bring you to where I'm at now with a similar endeavor. I shot Glocks in competition for almost 10 years now. I put together and open Glock 35 .(40) with a Carver comp and Burris fastfire. I had it mounted on the slide and I also tried it with a Carver frame mount. It was fun and I wasn't worried about excess pressure making 170 PF with a 40 is a lot easier than trying to run a Glock 9mm major. That being said I purchased a used STI Edge last year to continue with my Limited major shooting after running aTangfolio for a while. Saw advantages of and became used to the 2011 platform. Recently found what I believe to be a great deal on a Brazos 38 Super open pistol here on the Forum. Very limited time shooting it since I recently acquired it but is night and day between than the Glock. If you build a Glock from scratch you're going to put at least $1,500 or more into it and then trying to play with getting it to run okay. Hunt around on the forum and find a used good quality metal frame gun for around $2k. Then you'll have something to shoot for a long time and can be a good backup if you ever buy a new one. That is my plan. Happy shopping.

I moved to Open for no other reason than my old eyes could not see the sights anymore.  CO wasn't an option then.  I still have the CZ TS 40 that I used in Limited. I love the gun.  I tried turning it into an Open gun, but was dissatisfied with the limitations and (at the time) lack of options.  I shoot 2011s for Open, simply because I have a bazillion options.  Plus, I build my own 1911s, so I know exactly how they work.  This is what I think.

If I could still shoot limited, I'd take my TS over a 2011 any day of the week.  You buy it and it plain runs.  You don't have to do a thing to it.  The mags work right out of the box.  Buy a spare and four extended base pads and you are done.  You grip is closer to the bore axis and the muzzle does not rise as much as a 2011.  The barrels are generally fast and you load shorter than you would typically for a 2011.  So you use less powder for the same PF.

I know a lot of people shooting CZechmates.  A lot on these forums shoot nothing but CZ in Open.  My advice is not to.  The 2011 offers too many advantages in the way of parts, options, availability, plus people who know how to work on them.  Open is expensive.  I'll second the advise given above to borrow an Open gun and shoot it.  They are a blast.

If you want to stay in Limited, buy a TS.  If you are not sure and may want to eventually go to Open, buy a 2011.  It is super easy to convert a Limited 2011 to an Open gun.  It costs, but it's easy.  That way all your kit will still be usable, assuming you were using a race holster for Limited.

8 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

I disagree. In my opinion, you could be a REALLY good shooter and just tank out on classifiers. For what ever reason I still eat it pretty hard on classifiers. I dont know maybe I ate too much eggnog. Merry christmas...

That's me.  Neither hand works the way it is supposed to, but my left is really bad.  I can barely hold and control the pistol on all those weak hand classifiers.

Being a die hard 2011 fan, you will never regret getting a 2011.  The edge is super reasonable for what you get.  The balance with a full dust cover cannot be over-rated. The trigger on a 1911/2011 cannot even be compared to a Glock ( strike-fire ) You cannot get a glock trigger any where close to a 1911!!!!  Why handy cap yourself with an inferior product.  If you are going to stay in product great, but there is a reason why you cannot shoot a 1911 in production,  right??

For the average shooter, maybe even an above average shooter, there is no comparison in performance for a G35 to a stock STI Edge.  The weight, trigger and mechanical accuracy of the 1911/2011 just kills the Glock.   Certainly, there are many shooters who shoot them extremely well.  But most, if not all, can shoot a reasonably well built 1911 better.