Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Creedmoor barrel and bolt

Swanny10

I’m looking to do a Creedmoor build. I know that some places sell matched barrels and bolts. Typically I don’t worry so much about those sorts of things but due to the purpuse of this build I figured “why not?” Does anyone know of any higher end manufacturers who offer such a thing?

Oh, and this is an AR10 build btw.  

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Swanny10
Add info

Just now, NateTSU said:

Dosent JP sell matched bolt/barrel combos? 

I found that literally 2 seconds before I got notification of your response. It’s definitely “higher end” though. At least without having one turned custom. 

Yeah JP is definitely on the short list of best AR producers. Check out Shilen and Seekins precision, I thought they may have done some combos as well. My opinion they all make great barrels and you couldn't go wrong with any of those 3. I am sure there are more out there that I am forgetting. 

Not likely. I built a 6.5CM with a Proof Research stainless barrel, Rubber City Armory bolt, Alexandria Pro-Fab lower, and Fulton Armory upper. Had my local smith cut the chamber and headspace to the bolt. Shoots great.

Edited by Jakobi

36 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

Appreciate the help Nate. Am I doing a disservice to a barrel like that by putting it in front of an aero precision receiver set?

No you are not doing a disservice. A high end barrel will perform better than a cheap barrel no matter what its plugged in to. That said you can't assume that a JP or any one else's barrel will drop into just any upper. Unlike AR-15s which are mil-spec and consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer, there are no hard and fast standards for AR-10s. The most prevalent are Armalite SR25 & DPMS but there's a lot of proprietary stuff out there too. A JP barrel might work fine on an Aero precision receiver and it might not without some gunsmithing. I have seen a local builder put an Odin Works 6mm Creedmoor barrel on an Aero receiver but don't know how much trouble (if any) it was to make it work.

48 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

Appreciate the help Nate. Am I doing a disservice to a barrel like that by putting it in front of an aero precision receiver set?

I don't think so at all, Aero came out with a builders kit that comes with a matched upper/lower and hand guard. It looks very appealing to someone looking to build an ar10. I have several Aero receivers and I am very happy with their quality/fit and finish. 

18 hours ago, NateTSU said:

I don't think so at all, Aero came out with a builders kit that comes with a matched upper/lower and hand guard. It looks very appealing to someone looking to build an ar10. I have several Aero receivers and I am very happy with their quality/fit and finish. 

I’ve used aero stuff for smaller calibers before. Was always happy. But this is going to be a different animal. I was just curious what y’all would say about putting a JP  barrel on something like an aero. 

Thanks for all the input folks. Of course when I finally decided to get started purchasing pieces, Aero runs out of the blem uppers and lowers I was going to purchase. Once again my hem hawing around puts the brakes on my plans. 

I would recommend a complete upper/rifle. Seekins makes a doosie. JP is the best in the biz. Tuning a DIY large frame AR's can be a pain in the ass. 

If you really want to build your own, get a thick-wall/heavy upper. Thick-wall uppers support those long heavy barrels better and make for an accurate gun. 

• 11 months later...
On 1/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, Delfuego said:

If you really want to build your own, get a thick-wall/heavy upper. Thick-wall uppers support those long heavy barrels better and make for an accurate gun. 

who are the go-to's for thick wall/heavy uppers?  not aero?  how about the aero enhanced with the flanges for integral handguards?

Criterion offers the option of having a JP bolt that has been checked for headspace when you order from them. 

I just put together for a friend a 16'' 6.5 using an Aero BCG, Criterion Barrel, SLR adjustable gas block and the rest of the parts are the standard Aero standard stuff, not the enhanced versions. I just checked the head space myself, its a simple affair with some go & no/go gauges from Brownells. We only had a quick one hr range trip so far with it, but we got it dialed in running an H2 buffer unsuppressed. I told my friend to go with an H3 though bc we were only like 6 clicks out of 15 from closed on the H2, and his plan is to run it suppressed when his can gets out of jail. 

I'm also building a similar upper, but with different parts except the same 6.5 Criterion barrel. One main difference is I'm going to try and run it without an adjustable gas block using some other specific components. 

Check with Satern barrels. They offer killer barrels for reasonable prices. I have had 3 pre threaded  Satern 700 barrels that shot factory Hornady Creedmoor between .25 to .45 @100. I even re-chambered a Creedmoor to the new 6.5 PRC and it is a very accurate shooter.  I just put together a 224 Valkyrie that I will take to the range shortly.  Satern is very good to work with and if they don't list it, they most likely will make it for you.  Great folks to work with.

Shilen does make a nice matched set but is not cheap.  After a few trial and errors I put a wilson combat barrel with jp high pressure bolt , headspace checked out ok, and have had good feeding and great accuracy (.5-.6MOA) off the bench with factory ammo and  hitting 8" steel out to 600 with ease.  Haven't had a chance to go further but that makes me happy with a budget-ish gun and no hand loading. 

Like many the JP bolt was a lifesaver for me, did not use the whole JP carrier though.

Edit: Don't know how much love/hate there is on this site but Christensen makes a 6.5CM barrel and my experience with their bolt guns has been pretty stellar.  Again, go this route if you want to spend more, save weight, and get a jp bolt headspaced by you or a smith. 

Edited by lwink

To add on here the JP high pressure bolt is mandatory if you want to hand load and chase velocity at all. As comparison if I put a standard 308 bolt behind my 6.5 load I imediately get pierced primers and they look pretty much ok same gun with the JPHP. I use a proof barrel FYI.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/23/2018 at 11:17 PM, Swanny10 said:

AP 6.5cm barrels have been excellent!   Standard rifle length gas system has worked perfect from the get go!   I bought a dpms panther 16" for a donor at 450 bucks.   Removed the barrel and put an 18" AP 6.5cm barrel on it.   Without an adjustable gb it cycled perfect!   I have their 18, 20 and 22" barrels in that cal.

• 1 month later...