Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder measure springs?

I live in AZ and am near Dillon in Scottsdale.  The last time I was in their store and needed some of the springs, one of the employees reached in a drawer behind the counter and handed me 4 or 5 of them . . .  no charge.

On the powder measure with the two-piece bellcrank, we recommend to not add any springs or rubber bands to the measure, as in our experience it interferes with the consistency of the powder drops.  Just tighten the blue wing nut so that when you push the handle forward to seat a primer, the coil spring above the blue wing nut is partially compressed. A business card should just slip between the coils with the handle pushed forward.

1 hour ago, dillon said:

On the powder measure with the two-piece bellcrank, we recommend to not add any springs or rubber bands to the measure, as in our experience it interferes with the consistency of the powder drops.  Just tighten the blue wing nut so that when you push the handle forward to seat a primer, the coil spring above the blue wing nut is partially compressed. A business card should just slip between the coils with the handle pushed forward.

On all my powder measures I don't use the linkage. I zip tie the 2 pieces of the bell crank together and use the springs. I much prefer the way the press runs this way and my powder throws are very consistent. 

2 hours ago, bwikel said:

On all my powder measures I don't use the linkage. I zip tie the 2 pieces of the bell crank together and use the springs. I much prefer the way the press runs this way and my powder throws are very consistent. 

Yep...  The springs rock...

I've thought about trying to find the old linkage plates that don't have the arm that clanks around...  or I might just saw it off.

You can disable the linkage by just unhooking the spring end that attaches to the small metal post that sticks out. I took 2 of the wifes rubber style hair ties to return the bar to closed. No more clunking shut as the bar stop hangs down and does not interfere with anything.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:28 AM, dillon said:

This is a lot different than what you say in the instructions to the powder measure. In the instructions, you say "...press the operating handle firmly forward.  Tighten the blue wingnut until the top of the spring just touches the underside of the return bracket."  That leaves room for several business cards between the coils.  if the above is correct, you need to change your instructions.

FWIW, Been using springs only on all my Dillon powder measures for 2 decades now. No (consistency) problems observed over the years what so ever. I do this mainly because I like to run my powder measures not at the designated stations. I can't use the linkage this way.

I also run a Dillon measure this way successfully on my Mark 7 Evolution.