Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Limited Island Barrel .40cal Break in Problem

mikeperunjr

I just shot a box of Federal 180 Grain JHP( which I happened to have at home)

through my brand new STI DVC Limited Island Barrel .40cal knowing that the firearm being new needed lube since the tolerances are tight 

i lubed it prior to firing which may have been my self induced problem.which i suspect

i had three failure to fires from double feeds during the first 50 rd box 

when it fired it was incredibly accurate 

i know a lot of people here probably reload which at present i dont seem to have the time to do 

so barring that any recommendation on different factory ammo which is reliable in this firearm for USPSA Limited Competition

or do i need to send it out to get worked on?

I value any suggestions you may have and realize i may have cause the problem by over lubing

Thank You in advance 

Mike 

Edited by mikeperunjr

IF it is a true double feed then the extractor is not pulling the fired case out of the chamber correctly!

Adjust the extractor.  Currently there is a video just above your post on the "How to's"

Thread says something about brass in the head!

Usually it needs to be tighter.  i.e. just tight enough to hold the case against the breech face!

Old School thought process is if it is tight enough and still doesn't always pull the case out of the chamber,

The extractor is bad, meaning get a new one and adjust it (EGW Heavy Duty is the gold standard)

Edited by jcc7x7
Link

I’d put a good 300-500rds though if first to break it in before worrying about messing with anything. But you can test the extractor. Go on YouTube and search extractor tension test or something. You slide the round up under the extractor against the break face, with the slide off. It should hold it there and you should be able to move the slide back and fort, not violently but just smooth back and forth and the round should stay put. If it doesn’t then it needs a bit more tension.