Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

entery level bolt gun

blacklab

Its time to cash in some of my Cabalas points so I thought I would put them towards a new bolt rifle. I still haven't figured out this long range stuff so I thought I'd ask before I buy. The rifles Cabalas have that I'm interested in are:

1- Bergara B14 BMP in 6.5 Creedmoor

2- Tikka T3X TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor

3- Ruger Precision gen 3 in 6.5 Creedmoor

4- Tikka TSR 1 in .308

5- Mossberg MVP LC in 6.5 Creedmoor

I have them listed in the order of interest to me. Out of everything I listed the only one I have handled is the Ruger, and they are nice but I think for around a few hundred more or less I could do better. I did some research on the web and for some reason I'm drawn toward the B14. I'm all ears if someone has any input as to what way to go, but keep in mind the rifle has to:

A. Come from Cabalas

B. Cost under $2000 (as per PRS rules)

C. Would like to stick with 6.5 Creedmoor because that's what my AR platform is.

4 hours ago, Davidp1911 said:

Shouldn't a Rem 700 be on your list?

No, according to PRS rules for the division I want to shoot the rifle can not be modified and can't cost more then 2k. Factory 700 triggers suck for a lack of better words.

1 hour ago, PharmDShooter said:

Probably can get a better price somewhere other than cabelas if your area is anything like mine

I did find better prices on all the rifles I listed. But I should use some of my Cabalas points so I'm kind of stuck paying more. Then again I guess I'm not really paying anything for it so I cant complain.

53 minutes ago, Davidp1911 said:

Oh, didn't know they're the same action

Not quite the same, but the footprint is so stocks, triggers etc. are cross compatible.

The reason Remington is rarely considered these days is because they've ignored precision rifles so long that they are 15 years behind on everything. Twist rates, new chamberings, decent triggers, chassis options, you name it and Remington is the last company to adopt it, then they insist on pricing themselves higher than any of their competitors.

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

Not quite the same, but the footprint is so stocks, triggers etc. are cross compatible.

The reason Remington is rarely considered these days is because they've ignored precision rifles so long that they are 15 years behind on everything. Twist rates, new chamberings, decent triggers, chassis options, you name it and Remington is the last company to adopt it, then they insist on pricing themselves higher than any of their competitors.

Exactly! Who wants to buy a 5-600 dollar rifle to install a new trigger and decent stock, then when it dosent shoot to expectation have a new barrel installed and action blueprinted. Turns into a 3k dollar project fast. 

• 2 weeks later...