Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

n320 temp sensitive?

waktasz

Worked up a new load today for my new limited gun and ended up around 166.5 pf. It was 44 degrees outside. I'm wondering if I should bother bumping it up much if it's going to chrono much higher in the summer time. Is n320 temp sensitive much?

Thanks!

166 PF is cutting it close. Did you base that on actual bullet weiight, or stated weight? Ive had bullets vary +/- 1 gr. A low bullet weight, or some other variable, could put you under the 165 PF.

That said, I've found N320 to be fairly consistant in varying temps, with it leaning to be reverse temperature sensitive-faster in cold temps, slower in warmer temps. I'd bump up your load a bit, to be on the safe side.

That's what I figured. I bumped it a bit and am around 170pf now...although it was in the 30s when I chrono'd yesterday. 

Also tried some loads with Clay Dot and they felt really good compared to the 320, although they weren't quite as hot.

My question would be this.   I loaded the bullets in the house where it is 70 degrees. Then I walk out the back to my range and chrono them.

It's 38 degrees outside. how will this effect them. I am 175 pf with 180 gr sns fp pushed by 4.8 N320.

I know this just jacks up everything LOL.

13 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

My question would be this.   I loaded the bullets in the house where it is 70 degrees. Then I walk out the back to my range and chrono them.

It's 38 degrees outside. how will this effect them. I am 175 pf with 180 gr sns fp pushed by 4.8 N320.

If they didn't have time to get cold, then it seems that they would chrono at the 70 degrees. It's not the temperature outside that is the issue, it's the temperature of the powder. Loading them at 90 degrees or at 32 degrees makes no difference. Do a test. Load 50 rounds up, keep some in the house (warm) and leave some outside (cold). Try to keep the warm ones warm as long as you can, then quickly run them through the chrono while they are still warm.

1 minute ago, GrumpyOne said:

If they didn't have time to get cold, then it seems that they would chrono at the 70 degrees. It's not the temperature outside that is the issue, it's the temperature of the powder. Loading them at 90 degrees or at 32 degrees makes no difference. Do a test. Load 50 rounds up, keep some in the house (warm) and leave some outside (cold). Try to keep the warm ones warm as long as you can, then quickly run them through the chrono while they are still warm.

Good thinking I will try this tomorrow. Should be easy enough.

15 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Like stated, the cartridges need to reach the temperature outside first, to be considered shooting them at that temperature.

Btw, for N320, I'm using 4.6 gr over a 180 gr coated bullet. This gives me a PF from 168-171 depending on temperature. 4.8 gr gives me near 177 pf, way more than is needed.

59 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:

Like stated, the cartridges need to reach the temperature outside first, to be considered shooting them at that temperature.

Btw, for N320, I'm using 4.6 gr over a 180 gr coated bullet. This gives me a PF from 168-171 depending on temperature. 4.8 gr gives me near 177 pf, way more than is needed.

My Chrono over 50 rounds out of my DVC Limited and Eagle both were at 951 fps average. Or about 171. That is about close as I like it.

Maybe Chronos are slightly different but that is what mine is showing. This is the only chrono I have tested it on.

Also I am 1.17 length which both guns like

Edited by Fuzz

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, waktasz said:

Weirdos. n320 is not a powder for open guns

I know a few guys that shoot .40 S&W (major) in open.  N320 would be perfectly fine for this.  :)

Although I suspect you were thinking more along the lines of 9mm major.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:53 PM, waktasz said:

oh, 40 open guns? 

So, weirdos, right?

The primary advantage of 9 Major over .40 for open is magazine capacity.  If the COF doesn't offer an advantage for the larger capacity mags, then I'd say the .40 folks are not at very much of a disadvantage.

yeh even with the capacity disad,,, which wont be on everystage. Id still want a compensator and propper powder to work it to gain that advantage which WILL be on every stage.
Much as I am liking BE86 right now in 357 mag mid loads and 45 acp pin loads... Might be the bees knees for 40 open and coated bullets, assuming coatings dont gunk a comp