Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mastering the time domain on the draw (Travis Haley)

shootmove

Parameters

• USPSA Silhouette @ 6 yards (inferred; anyone know better?)
  • Par time: X seconds (5, 4, 3, 2, 1, .9, .8, .7, etc.)

Drill

• Draw and fire a single shot within .1 seconds of the par time.
  • Repeat (2-5 times) until you've mastered the current par time
  • Reduce par time per descending schedule above (first in on second increments, then .1 second increments)

This is a neat drill designed to help master the time domain and comfortably get down to a fast draw. As always, safety first. Don't push yourself beyond what's safe.

I am not sure of your math.  If my par time is 1 second, then I must draw and fire a shot in .9 second of the buzzer.  

As you get a lower par time drawing within .1 is impossible.  I have seen videos of Nik, TGO etc doing a .6 draw.  

I am not sure your schedule is workable below .7 par time--IMHO.

3 hours ago, pjb45 said:

I am not sure of your math.  If my par time is 1 second, then I must draw and fire a shot in .9 second of the buzzer.  

As you get a lower par time drawing within .1 is impossible.  I have seen videos of Nik, TGO etc doing a .6 draw.  

I am not sure your schedule is workable below .7 par time--IMHO.

When shooting a one-second draw, you can be anywhere between 1.1 and .9, since that's one-tenth of a second (100 msec) in error. There is a tiny dot before the "1" in my original post :). When shooting even faster than one second perhaps one tenth is even too large of an error, and 50 msec makes more sense.