Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why go titanium comp but hybrid barrel?

B_RAD

Here talk of Cone style open gun barrels, why do you never see them in matches?  The bull barrel is top dog.  I have made transition to the SVI sight tracker style barrel/slide design.  

It takes the old Island barrel ( sti Apiero ) to new level.  Island is so big and long, it takes tremendous amount of material off slide.  that has to be good.  The Schuemann Hybri- barrels with Popple holes are great!! Just fitted one in an older SVI frame and WOW the gun shot so flat it was insane.  Because the slide is so light I have a 7 lb spring with a bushing and it shoots major loads fast and then will shoot minor loads as well.  Crazy but fun.

I'm still confused. 

I don't know what a come comp is and since nobody seems to be using them anymore, I'm not concerned about them. 

Seems like just about everything is really matter of opinion. Some are saying hybrid barrel setups make for more muzzle rise and others say the opposite. 

though, form what I'm seeing, the better shooters are shooting heavier barreled open guns. 

19 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I'm still confused. 

I don't know what a come comp is and since nobody seems to be using them anymore, I'm not concerned about them. 

Seems like just about everything is really matter of opinion. Some are saying hybrid barrel setups make for more muzzle rise and others say the opposite. 

though, form what I'm seeing, the better shooters are shooting heavier barreled open guns. 

Normal thought process is anything that doesn't move or move much make heavy = frame, BBL etc

anything that moves a lot = slide make light.

So a hybrid bbl and comp would be heavier = good stuff and the cut out for the bbl will make the slide lighter (though other cut on a slide can do the same)

So your thought is in line with the norm.

That said as you can tell weight , length and where to put the weight is all subjective and opinion based.

Talk to your builder and get his advice.  You've shot a lot of different guns, so by now you should have an idea of where you want the weight.

i.e. in your hand or out in front etc.  Share that with the builder so he knows how you want your gun to balance.

Flatness is as much about grip as anything else.  When I grip my open gun like my limited gun I swear the dot goes down then has to come back up.

So I have to live fire the open gun a lot to re figure the grip tension for the dot to just bounce instead of going up and down a lot.

Hope that makes sense!

12 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Normal thought process is anything that doesn't move or move much make heavy = frame, BBL etc

anything that moves a lot = slide make light.

So a hybrid bbl and comp would be heavier = good stuff and the cut out for the bbl will make the slide lighter (though other cut on a slide can do the same)

So your thought is in line with the norm.

That said as you can tell weight , length and where to put the weight is all subjective and opinion based.

Talk to your builder and get his advice.  You've shot a lot of different guns, so by now you should have an idea of where you want the weight.

i.e. in your hand or out in front etc.  Share that with the builder so he knows how you want your gun to balance.

Flatness is as much about grip as anything else.  When I grip my open gun like my limited gun I swear the dot goes down then has to come back up.

So I have to live fire the open gun a lot to re figure the grip tension for the dot to just bounce instead of going up and down a lot.

Hope that makes sense!

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

At the moment, I'm going with full size, bull barrel. The more I shoot open, hopefully I'll get to shoot some other guns to see if I might like middies/hybrid better. If so, I'll go that route with my next build. 

Edited by B_RAD

Lot's of builders make coned comp guns, especially if the shooter asks for a fast transitioning gun.  Since you are discounting them, it doesn't make much difference which one you choose.  Since you are still asking questions, you don't have enough experience to know what you want.

As j, suggested, talk to your builder.  If he says he will not make a slide lighter than 10 oz, forget the hybrid.  If he says the hybrid will allow him to go lighter on the slide and still have the same strength, do that.  The secondary recoil will be reduced, so muzzle rise is lessened.  Then you can decide whether the island is blank, or you want poppels.  I'd suggest poppels if you actually want your comp to work.  Huge ports bleed off so much gas it starves the comp unless you use a lot more powder.  Even then you may have a problem.  I have a friend who tried huge barrel ports.  He cannot make major with any powder that will fit in the case.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Lot's of builders make coned comp guns, especially if the shooter asks for a fast transitioning gun.  Since you are discounting them, it doesn't make much difference which one you choose.  Since you are still asking questions, you don't have enough experience to know what you want.

As j, suggested, talk to your builder.  If he says he will not make a slide lighter than 10 oz, forget the hybrid.  If he says the hybrid will allow him to go lighter on the slide and still have the same strength, do that.  The secondary recoil will be reduced, so muzzle rise is lessened.  Then you can decide whether the island is blank, or you want poppels.  I'd suggest poppels if you actually want your comp to work.  Huge ports bleed off so much gas it starves the comp unless you use a lot more powder.  Even then you may have a problem.  I have a friend who tried huge barrel ports.  He cannot make major with any powder that will fit in the case.

Out of curiosity, what is your experience in Open and classification?

3 1/2 years shooting Open guns, 2 1/2 in USPSA matches (about 56), countless practice, four guns (TS open and 2011 open), C, mostly because my left hand doesn't work.  I shoot better than that in stages.  I'm fortunate to shoot with a lot of good Open shooters.  We compare notes, try each others guns, and say what we like and don't.  It is very educational, especially when someone says I did this for this reason and you can feel it.  Plus I have conversations with builders.  They are happy to say why they do what they do.

Edited by zzt

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Yup!  

I think everyone can tell the differences in a gun differently. Some not at all.

I personally can tell the difference from different lubes, fps's, springs, bullet weights, ti/steel comp, diff comps, powders, etc.  I change stuff all the time to see what I like and can't leave good enough alone.  I have friends who can't tell the difference. 

Fwiw, been shooting just over three yrs and GM. 

Edited by echotango

1 hour ago, echotango said:

I think everyone can tell the differences in a gun differently. Some not at all.

I personally can tell the difference from different lubes, fps's, springs, bullet weights, ti/steel comp, diff comps, powders, etc.  I change stuff all the time to see what I like and can't leave good enough alone.  I have friends who can't tell the difference. 

Fwiw, been shooting just over three yrs and GM. 

Well, there's a pretty big gap between GM and B/C.  

17 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Well, there's a pretty big gap between GM and B/C.  

I didn't mean it like that, my bad if it came out wrong. When I started, I could feel minor differences. I know several shooters that have been shooting for a very long time and some feel changes and some can't, regardless of their classification. 

Edited by echotango