Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Delta Point MOA dot size?

chgofirefighter

I only have experience with the 2.5 MOA dot size, however, I haven't tested the red dot in real super bright sunlight during a competitive match, due of course to weather conditions. So everytime that I have used it I never encounter any problems but next year I'll be hitting hard in USPSA and other competitive sports. A friend of mine who happens to be a world class shooter LOVES the 7.5 MOA on his Delta Point, he claims that he sees it way better especially during bright sunlight and picks up the targets way faster. Now I'm no "world class" shooter but he got me thinking, lol~  

I'm about to order another DDP red dot for one of my Glock 34's, but now I'm torn between 2.5 or 7.5, so I need some guidance, suggestions or ideas... Thanks, brothers!~

(Not sure if I'm on the right thread but if I'm not feel free to correct MODS)  I'm new to this forum... 

I have 7.5 on my Carry Optics. It's all fine and dandy.

If I had to redo it again, I would pick the 2.5. I shot my friends Open with 2.5  and its bright enough on the brightest days but more precise for those 25+ yard targets.

44 minutes ago, balmo said:

I have 7.5 on my Carry Optics. It's all fine and dandy.

If I had to redo it again, I would pick the 2.5. I shot my friends Open with 2.5  and its bright enough on the brightest days but more precise for those 25+ yard targets.

Yes for more accurate shots the 2.5 is an ideal option.  However, since I have personally never seen a 7.5 I wanted to get some input...  Thanks 

Just now, shootmove said:

I concur: 2.5 MOA works in bright sun. A full brightness dot blooms a lot, and isn't really 2.5 MOA any more. On balance, it's best to have the ability to go to a small dot size for high-accuracy shots (e.g. dot drills, head shots), at least during practice.

That said the Deltapoints tend to vary one from another in brightness--although I notice this variance more at the lower intensities.

Edited by shootmove
correct

I've got both.  I have much more experience with the 2.5 dot though.  I recently bought the 7.5 delta to have an extra and will find something to put it on eventually.  But after seeing both and messing around with them, i like the 2.5 better for uspsa.  There's a lot of theory behind the delta; zero for long shots at tip of triangle and aim center triangle for close stuff etc.  But frankly, for uspsa, its just more simple to use the dot.  The delta gets complicated and even if you can learn it and be very fast, i think it is an unnecessary hoop to jump through.  

Own both in DPP's

But when they first came out as delta points the only one you could see was the delta 7.5".

So I have 10-12 years of using it and find it vary easy to see and use for uspsa and SC.

With that said the 2.5 dot on the DPP is a great BRIGHT dot and if you want to "see" more dot.

Go up in intensity one setting and it will slightly bloom for the given light condition and will appear to be larger.

Theoretically easier to see.

Problem I have when it blooms; I tend to look at the dot instead of the target.

If you've never had one and you're using it for uspsa open get the 2.5 and practice.

the practice part will solve any of the concerns of not having the right dot.

Generally the work does more than the equipment 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 7.5 for a shotgun. I think it will work great for that purpose until I run into stupidly long slug shots. For a pistol though I think it is too large for me. I like the idea of being more precise with a handgun.

I have both dots. The 2moa is on my AR I would often lose it when on my carry optics rig. I used my 7.5 on my carry optics gun and have now swapped it over to an open rig. It’s easier for me to pick up the larger dot.
I use the top of the delta for a 25y sight in and then just put the delta on the target at any other range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/30/2018 at 8:23 PM, orangeride said:

I guess I’m going to go against the grain. I’m running the 7.5 moa triangle. I love it. I’d shoot some of the small dot stuff and always had problems. One of my shooting buddy’s tried mine out and the next day swapped out his rmr 3.5 for the dpp 7.5

Apples to oranges.

The RMR is a dim little optic with lousy window clarity.

A triangle DPP is twice as bright as an RMR.

A DPP 2.5 dot is twice as bright as a tringle DPP.

The 2.5  dot looks more like a 6 when it’s at full power - on even the brightest day with a blinding white background, it’s a huge step up over the triangle.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:54 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Apples to oranges.

The RMR is a dim little optic with lousy window clarity.

A triangle DPP is twice as bright as an RMR.

A DPP 2.5 dot is twice as bright as a tringle DPP.

The 2.5  dot looks more like a 6 when it’s at full power - on even the brightest day with a blinding white background, it’s a huge step up over the triangle.

The RMR type 2 is pretty much just as bright as the DPP.

Here are the advantages of each in my experience:

RMR type 2: longer battery life (~2 years), automatic mode, smaller footprint, more durable

Deltapoint Pro: larger glass, easier to change batteries, simpler and better controls.

And the disadvantages:

RMR type 2: Controls are meh. Turning on/off not as easy as DPP. Need to remove optic to replace battery. Smaller viewport.

Deltapoint Pro: huge footprint and height (requires suppressor height sights, etc.) Breaks pretty easily (I've seen them shatter when dropped on concrete).

TL;DR, my opinion is DPP for competition, RMR Type 2 for carry.

1 hour ago, shootmove said:

TL;DR, my opinion is DPP for competition, RMR Type 2 for carry.

Agree with you on your summary and on that final point.

The exception being, I see absolutely no reason to run a dot on a carry gun. But that's purely personal preference. Of course.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...