Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use "Performance Analysis Journal"?

jmac2112

Hi,

I'm pretty new to competition (USPSA, Steel Challenge, unsanctioned matches), but I like the idea of tracking my progress and have been doing it in a somewhat haphazard fashion, partly on paper and partly on my computer.  Anyway, I've been reading "With Winning in Mind," and I see that Bassham recommends a "Performance Analysis Journal" which he sells on his website.  Sounds like a winner, but before I drop $32 on one (the price of the journal + tax + shipping) I'd like to know what others think of it.  Is it worth the price, or is there a cheaper alternative that's just as good?  I see that there is a subforum in this forum where you can record your performance, and that looks like a good way to get feedback from others.   So, whaddya think?

Thanks,

John

Yes, but I use an app on my iPhone called "Day One".  My wife originally found it, and I pulled it to my phone from her account, so I'm not sure if it's part of the phone's OS, a free download, or a purchased app.  It looks very well developed, so I'm sure it's a purchased app.  I really like it because I can do my entry on the phone when I'm practicing my dryfire (I use a phone app for the timer) or at the range... or at work if I run out of time in the morning and have to do it after the fact while on my lunch break.  In addition to having a calendar-based logging system--I'm kept honest on practice regimen by being able to quick-view how many days I've practiced through the week/month--the logs are also exportable and printable.  

Edited by jkrispies

• 3 weeks later...

Try Mike Seeklander's website or books.  He and Phil had a sheet they to map out a stage.

I was shooting at Taran's range, he would look at splits and transitions during the COF.  Then do it over and over again.

He would have me focus on one aspect then move on after improvement.

Recording the detail is most important.  

I use Ben Stoeger's dry fire and skills and drills books...they have sections for notes that I use...plus i created a dry fire/live-fire log on my computer that i update after my sessions with notes, par-times, etc.