Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18” vs 16”

ffgats

+1 for Stretch 16 w/ Intermediate gas system. with a LMOS it is very soft and easy to get back on target (also using adj. gas block & miculek comp). Accurate enough for all the 3 gun matches I've been to. 

I also have a 18" with rifle length gas and the impulse is very similar. 

I stripped down my uppers and my spr barrel weights 42.6 oz, where as the Odin 16 weights 31 oz.  the Odin barrel is basically .750 the entire length.  I shot both barrels with the same ammo one day and the velocity difference is only 2.8%.

On 12/21/2018 at 11:46 PM, CharlieD said:

I have found I prefer a long for barrel length  gas system, there is a perceptible difference from mid to rifle length.

Stretch 16 is a great barrel, I would choose this over a mid length barrel all day long.

Recently i’ve Been shooting a 16.5” rifle length barrel, this may be the sweet spot for me.  It doesn’t require any super light parts to run, and every brand of ammo that i’ve put through it has functioned well.

Is that the Voodoo barrel?

16 minutes ago, parvusimperator said:

Neat. Did you have to mess with drilling out the gas port at all?

No.  The JP works great with  gas open with a steel LMOS bcg, and I have to dial down with the aluminum BCG.  The voodoo needs the gas block dialed down a bit with steel LMOS.  Shoot various factory ammo to include fiocchi, PMC, Federal.

• 3 weeks later...

The difference in impulse between a "non-tuned" (gas, bcg, springs, etc) 18R and 16M is, in my opinion, quite noticeable.  When you look at the tuned variations, I believe that gap shrinks quite a bit, but does still exist; you will feel slightly more recoil on the 16M gun...whether it is material enough to effect your stage is another matter. 

Now, 16I tuned, for me, is almost impossible to notice a difference against 18R.  I've wanted to do away with an 18" gun for some time because I shoot a lot of bay matches, and need the shorter setup...so I went with a 16I to test.  Here are some vids of the gun in action:

Edited by GorillaTactical

26 minutes ago, apetrulis01 said:

I run a Criterion 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system. I have an SLR adjustable gas bock, JP Low Mass bolt and Armalite comp, thing doesn't move and shoots MOA with PMC Bronze. 

I just finished building my next rifle with this barrel and a jp adjustable GB, ICRW g2 carrier, odin adjustable lightweight buffer and UMTAC rage... hows reliability been?

7 hours ago, dkamps said:

I just finished building my next rifle with this barrel and a jp adjustable GB, ICRW g2 carrier, odin adjustable lightweight buffer and UMTAC rage... hows reliability been?

I have never had a jam with it all all. Feels like a .22 and shoots MOA with PMC. Won limited division in Area 6 three gun championship last year with it.