Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18” vs 16”

ffgats

Lets say everything is the same except for the bbl lenght 18” with rifle gas and 16” middy and both running Adjustable Gas Block, can I make the 16” shoot like the 18”, recoil impulse, softness and muzzle stability. Btw the 18” will be s little heavier. Thanks 

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say you can get them fairly close in impulse. You'd probably need to spend more on brake and BCG and buffer system to get the 16" there. What are you using the rifle for? Every little bit counts in a lot of games, but if it's just for plinking that's a different story. That said, longer heavier barrels have other advantages than just impulse. Are you carrying this rifle for 10 hours at a time or 10 seconds? Are you shooting it over 300 yards much? 

Edited by Blockader

I have both with the same optics, BCG's, brakes, match load with adjustable gas blocks etc.  I think the 16" is not as soft as a 18" rifle gas setup.  I have been intrigued about the 16" barrels with longer than ML gas systems like the Stretch 16 or Odin Works intermediate length gas system barrels.  I have not heard  (from 3 gunners) a lot of positive things about 16" rifle gas barrels.

23 hours ago, ffgats said:

Lets say everything is the same except for the bbl lenght, can I make the 16” shoot like the 18”,  

No. You may feel it but you'll probably have a hard time noticing it in your stage times.

The real question is why use a 16" mid when 16" intermediate and rifle barrels are available?

Intermediate closes the gap on rifle so close you have a hard time telling the difference.

16" rifle gas is not for everyone but if you like tinkering and tuning it can be a viable route.

1 hour ago, 12glocks said:

I have both with the same optics, BCG's, brakes, match load with adjustable gas blocks etc.  I think the 16" is not as soft as a 18" rifle gas setup.  I have been intrigued about the 16" barrels with longer than ML gas systems like the Stretch 16 or Odin Works intermediate length gas system barrels.  I have not heard  (from 3 gunners) a lot of positive things about 16" rifle gas barrels.

I have found I prefer a long for barrel length  gas system, there is a perceptible difference from mid to rifle length.

Stretch 16 is a great barrel, I would choose this over a mid length barrel all day long.

Recently i’ve Been shooting a 16.5” rifle length barrel, this may be the sweet spot for me.  It doesn’t require any super light parts to run, and every brand of ammo that i’ve put through it has functioned well.

You seem to have read my question as being confrontational. 

I was curious where you were going as this discussion has so far been about gas system lengths, not effective range or accuracy.

FWIW I like my 14.5", it's plenty capable at 600 as you say, lighter and handier. But your 14.5 is intermediate gas so it's not on equal footing with most 14.5's. It also has the equivalent dwell time of a 16" rifle gas barrel, so it is a bit closer to the edge than a lot of people prefer.

9 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

No. You may feel it but you'll probably have a hard time noticing it in your stage times.

The real question is why use a 16" mid when 16" intermediate and rifle barrels are available?

Intermediate closes the gap on rifle so close you have a hard time telling the difference.

16" rifle gas is not for everyone but if you like tinkering and tuning it can be a viable route.

because nobody sells here 16' intermediate .

2 minutes ago, ffgats said:

because nobody sells here 16' intermediate .

my 18" ( rainier Ultra Match fluted) with rifle gas and adjustable gas block shoots the way I wanted, with 18" bbl 35oz, its a little front heavy, so I'm asking about the 16", unfortunately cant't seem to find a dealer who sells the 16' intermediate, just the middy. . base from your experience the 16" middy will not shoot like my 18' rifle. I thought the adjustable gas block with do the trick. good to know, thanks

7 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

You seem to have read my question as being confrontational. 

I was curious where you were going as this discussion has so far been about gas system lengths, not effective range or accuracy.

FWIW I like my 14.5", it's plenty capable at 600 as you say, lighter and handier. But your 14.5 is intermediate gas so it's not on equal footing with most 14.5's. It also has the equivalent dwell time of a 16" rifle gas barrel, so it is a bit closer to the edge than a lot of people prefer.

Not at all, I was enjoying an adult beverage and was trying to be funny........

On 12/22/2018 at 2:02 PM, yosturm said:

I just got an 16” intermediate length  from Odin.

Care to share your experience, accuracy wise and recoil, have you tried the rifle gas to compare, justfound a dealer with very limited stock. Thanks 

1 JP 18 and 1 16 JP pencil thin barrel.  I am just mediocre. On bay stages that have very few shots over 50 yards I do not even notice the recoil/impluse of either barrel.

On longer range shots, I don't really notice or care about the impluse all that much either.  I really notice the trigger function more.

Transitions on the 16 on short courses are much faster.  

On 12/26/2018 at 2:03 PM, ffgats said:

Care to share your experience, accuracy wise and recoil, have you tried the rifle gas to compare, justfound a dealer with very limited stock. Thanks 

I just got it a few weeks ago and thus far have only sighted it in with a few rounds.  It was from a bipod on the bench so I really can’t talk about recoil impulse feel.  It is still a pretty heavy profile so the rifle is about 8oz lighter than the 18” SPR that I am used to (which is a soft shooter but a real pig for weight). What I am trying to say is the overall rifle weight is still high so the felt recoil was  low.

i can say that accuracy was fantastic.  On par with my 18” SPR.  

I will I’ll try to report back after I get to the range.  Maybe sometime next week.  

Also note that this  rifle came with an  adjustable gas block which will be my first.

edit to add:  my thoughts would be that you should pull the trigger on this.  The weight will still be high but not too high and the accuracy will be very good,  I have no doubt that I won’t have much trouble taming the impulse with the adjustable gas.

Edited by yosturm

Thanks, just pull the the trigger on the Odin 16” Intermediate , was able to get the last piece, and its only 30 mins drive. The next shipment is 6 months. Its a not light barrel, just a couple of ounces than my SPR