Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maybe my first problem with my TSO?????

BLUEPSTU

Disclaimer: This probably isn't an actual problem with the gun but we will see.  I have asked a couple of people locally about this, but would like to see if anyone else has run into this problem. I have shot over 13,000 flawless rounds through my TSO. Today, on about 4 occasions, the gun would lock back with one round left in the magazine. I really don't think I was riding the slide as this has never happened before. (I don't know for sure if it was only one magazine causing the problem or if it happened on more than one.) Some things I was thinking that might be the culprit, but wanted to ask around.......1. Dirty magazines? I have only cleaned them twice since I bought the gun. 2. Weak magazine springs as they are the originals. 3. Weak guide rod spring as I have been running the same 10lb Wolff spring the entire time I have had the gun. 4. Dirty gun. I do clean it about every 400 rounds but have never done a complete breakdown cleaning, like removing the extractor, etc. 5. A combination of all the above. Thanks for any info from some of you that may have experienced this in the past.

2 hours ago, Furrly said:

Try too pin point it to a specific mag, if that's the case.. 13k Rounds is a lot of rounds for original spring and followers. 

Are you still using the same ammo??? 

I should have mentioned that everything is still the same. (Ammo, etc.) No changes to anything in the past.

I had this happen at my last match, too.  I pressed the slide stop button and it went into battery and was able to fire the last round.  But naturally I would like to avoid it in the future, so interested in this thread.

Check the mags and see if there's some debris or build up in the notch that activates the slide lock.  Not a lot of things would force the slide lock up, except the mag or your hands.  Out of spec follower could do it, but since these have worked previously, they aren't changing shape/dimensions magically :)

11 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

Am I crazy to clean my mags and gun entirely after every match?

Maybe not 'crazy', but definitely not necessary, unless your matches are several thousand rounds.  My local matches tend to be 120-150 rounds. 

Seems a little excessive to be pulling things apart after only a box or two of ammo.  But hey, your toy, do what you wish.

19 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

I do the weapon after every use but maybe the old infantryman in me is obsessive. Prior to kids, they didn't even make it into the safe until they were cleaned. Now they get done over a few days after the fact. Magazines depend on the conditions they were last used in. I'll let them go 3-5 times if not dropped in the dirt but always after a match.

I'd like the hear the argument of a properly cleaned and lubricated weapon over a dirty one. I think some people consider it a right of passage to neglect their weapon and still have it function. I'd rather treat it with respect. :)

On the topic of cleaning "too much", I had a weird thing happen the last time I cleaned my TSO 9mm.  I had been shooting it probably 1000 rounds since last clean, then did a quick and dirty clean at the range before shooting that day. Then I took the first shot, and I swear the cycle of the gun felt different.  It's made me a bit hesitant to clean before a match, because I don't want that first shot to have an unusual cycle feel.  I've heard of other people not cleaning before a match, but I think they justify it with paranoia that they aren't 100% sure the gun will function.

I don't clean unless it was raining, in which case I'll break everything down, hit it with a heat gun to get rid of any water, wipe out any major build up, run a couple wet patches through the barrel, then oil/grease moving parts and contact points. I usually break down my mags after a match and run a brush through them to knock out any sand/dirt/rocks that got in. I also just wipe off the followers and will occasionally oil the springs. The range I practice at has a gravel base so I don't worry about it too much after practice session, but some of the ranges I go to matches at have sand or dirt bases and Production gives it lot of opportunities to clog mags up. 

I find this moderately frequent light maintenance keeps it in a pretty consistent condition. It's never pristine but it never gets filthy and it gives me. I'm sure it could truck through quite a bit of build up but why push that boundary?  

I would say get more acquainted with your gun if you cannot confidently rip it all the way down and then reassemble. Maybe I just like to tinker around more than others but I always make sure I can strip all weapons down to their bones and then put back together again and be confident in doing so. 

Thanks for the help everyone. I had a match yesterday and no problems. Don't know if cleaning the mags solved the problem or not. I definitely have things I can try if I have problems again. Thanks again.

I’m willing to bet the issue was almost entirely from the mags. Might still wanna replace the springs in there, most people do that every ~10k rounds or so, or once a year.

To be honest, I’m surprised you went so many rounds without having to clean your mags. Mine start gunking and jamming up after just dropping them in the dirt 2 or 3 times lol. I clean mine with light oil and wipes every 1k rounds and get like 5-6 swabs that come out pretty black. I can kinda start to feel when they start getting slowed down by dirtiness though. Maybe try feeling for that when you’re loading them and it’s been a while since you’ve cleaned them?

My range is usually pretty dry and dusty with fine gravel. After a stage I do a quick visual check to see if it looks like the inside of the mag has picked up a coating of dust and then a quick shake to see if I can hear if there is any fine gravel inside. 

I keep one one of these brushes in my range bag so I can them a quick clean if needed. 

733C681A-D7D4-4E5B-B249-16764D177363.png

My range is usually pretty dry and dusty with fine gravel. After a stage I do a quick visual check to see if it looks like the inside of the mag has picked up a coating of dust and then a quick shake to see if I can hear if there is any fine gravel inside. 

I keep one one of these brushes in my range bag so I can them a quick clean if needed. 
733C681A-D7D4-4E5B-B249-16764D177363.thumb.png.1b157fe181e4d91d2e16c2a2fca8c05f.png

Just bought one of these brushes. Usually I have a cleaning brush around to do the same thing but this will be nice since it’s longer and the bristles go a full 360°.

It’s definitely easy to tell when a mag is getting dusty if you push down on the follower and hear a gritty scraping as well. I know some guys that brush all their mags after every stage no matter what

On 12/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, Adrenaline said:

I go about 7k to 8k rounds between cleaning. Just add a little oil. I have better things to do than cleaning guns.