Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics vs Open

BadShot

Open is the most fun and probably the most frustrating division.  Your equipment runs like a hot rod, but practically everything is super finnicky - from your mags, to your springs, and even your ammo will give you constant headaches.  Still, it's really fun to blaze down stages with your weird space laser and make a LOT of noise!

Edited by UpYoursPal

I shoot both open and Carry Optics. Open is easier, big mags, big magwell, consistent trigger and the advantage of the compensator. Open can hide a lot of weaknesses. My open gun was a 38, so the brass issue was a distraction. My gun is back at STI for a warranty repair and have a 9 major on the way. We'll see how the new caliber makes me feel about open.

My current CO gun is a Stock ll. I absolutely love the Tanfoglio platform. I put my open gun aside for the last 2 years in favor of CO, with a few dabbles back to open for a few months in the winter.

I favor CO currently over Open even though it's a little tougher as far as reloads and drawing. Love the dot, love it. My eyes are old too.

CO is a little easier now with all the new pistols catering to the division.

Open is a little more expensive but a wild fun ride. Loud, violent and fast. What's not to like.

Zomby,

Just curious, what kind of open gun are you shooting?  What are you using for optics on it?  Is it a big difference between a frame mounted sight and a slide mounted?

The range has installed lights on the ranges.  They want to extend to shooting into the evening hours.  I'm thinking optics will be mandatory for me.

10 hours ago, BadShot said:

Is it a big difference between a frame mounted sight and a slide mounted?

Skip, There is to my eyes, older now don't track the irons as well as I used to.

Frame mounted seems more forgiving to grip , for me stays in the glass better w/o maintaining strong grip pressure.

Especially after a reload etc.

CO slide mount I keep the dot in the glass when I've been dryfiring and shooting a lot. IF I slack off of practice

I notice the dot leaves the CO slide mount more.

Obvious answer is to practice MORE! LOL.  Somehow life gets in the way of that more often than it used to!

Last year I went from Limited 10 (I know, I know) to Carry Optics for two reasons. 

1. LImited 10 is dead in my area, no one else shoots it.

2. My older eyes simply do not work well with iron sights anymore. Even though I intend to shoot the Desert Classic in SS, it will be purely for fun.

3. When the capacity change in mags went from 10 rounds to 140 mags, the fun was on.

I am headed for super senior, and really enjoy the CO division. I always keep in mind when the results show up at a match, the spot I place in is completely irrelevant to anybody else who is not a senior in my division. I love the competition between my friends, but some shoot Open, some SS, and some Limited. There is really no formula to compare the divisions. Ii is just impossible to stack one division against the other to determine progress. I watch the PCC crowd, and shake my head. But to those who enjoy it, have at it.

Changing to Open really does not improve us dinersoars, it does give us a different platform that is inherently more accurate, but does it make us better shooters? I would doubt it. We will only get slower, less able to acquire the dot, and find new body parts falling off at an alarming rate. To me, if you are enjoying the CO division, why spend the large amount of money to go Open? There is only one reason I would go Open.

Daddy has a new gun, now that I can go with........

12 hours ago, BadShot said:

Zomby,

Just curious, what kind of open gun are you shooting?  What are you using for optics on it?  Is it a big difference between a frame mounted sight and a slide mounted?

The range has installed lights on the ranges.  They want to extend to shooting into the evening hours.  I'm thinking optics will be mandatory for me.

My Open gun was an STI Grand Master with a C-More slideride.

My CO is a Tanfoglio Stock ll with a dovetail adapter and Delta point.

Dry fire is the answer to finding the dot.

About PCC -vs- Open:  In our group several guys have made the switch to PCC, and we tend to just look at overall standings for bragging rights.  I was top dog in open ( in our group ) until guys started shooting PCC.  It is so fast and you can take 20-30yd shots without a hitch.  Even with open sometimes it is faster to move a bit closer if you can, but not PCC.  they are hard to compete with, even though I love my open guns, I am building a Gibbs Arms full Lefty 9mm PCC. In addition it is a lot cheaper to get into this game compared to open.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:25 AM, gerritm said:

This.

I am roughly the same age as you. Blind in one eye & can't see out the other. Old,fat, & slow. A bunch of us shoot together of various ages & overall seems to be our way of bragging rights, too. I shot limited then open, improved greatly, but biggest improvement in overall was going to PCC. Open is all about foot speed & gun reliability. If you don't want tinker open is not he way to go. Always something between working on the gun & major loads. Went to PCC and have never looked back. The stability of the rifle, huge capacity, & red dot make up for my bad legs. Just a thought. 

gerritm

You are so right, In our group the guys that switched to PCC they are tough to beat, and it feels good to be up near the top of the overall standings!!