Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Division trigger question.

Scm88

I have been looking around a different forums and articles and can't seem to get a definitive answer, at least a recent one. I just bought an M&P 2.0 to start shooting USPSA in March. If I am going to shoot Production Division, can I replace the trigger? I have seen articles where some people say yes it's legal and some that say it's not, most of them are 5 or 6 years old. Could someone clarify this for me? I don't want to show up and end up either in a class that I didn't anticipate, or wors, DQ'd. Thanks for any help!

1 hour ago, Scm88 said:

I don't want to show up and end up either in a class that I didn't anticipate, or wors, DQ'd. Thanks for any help!

The "class" is your ranking...you would end up in a different division...and in this case, if it were applicable (it's not), you would end up in Open division....But, to answer your question, yes, you can change the trigger, and still stay Production Division legal.

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/20/2018 at 11:36 AM, pete627 said:

I read through the comments in the thread, but I'd like some opinions on this:

Production rules allow replacement of the trigger.  Got it.  However, they also state that all OFM safety devices remain functional.  For my M&P, there's the thumb safety, which obviously wouldn't be affected by replacing the trigger, but there's also the "safe action" style safety on the trigger.  When I replace the trigger, do the rules require that the aftermarket trigger have the same safety features as OFM, or because it's aftermarket do I get a pass on the absence of similar OFM trigger safety features?

Reason I ask is because the reviews I am reading for the flat face triggers have several complaints that the trigger safety is difficult to disengage depending on how the gun fits the shooter's hand.  If I have the option to avoid that issue altogether, I would be more inclined to do that.  How have others adapted to flat face triggers, or was it not an issue for you?

Thanks!!

26 minutes ago, carlthefish said:

I read through the comments in the thread, but I'd like some opinions on this:

Production rules allow replacement of the trigger.  Got it.  However, they also state that all OFM safety devices remain functional.  For my M&P, there's the thumb safety, which obviously wouldn't be affected by replacing the trigger, but there's also the "safe action" style safety on the trigger.  When I replace the trigger, do the rules require that the aftermarket trigger have the same safety features as OFM, or because it's aftermarket do I get a pass on the absence of similar OFM trigger safety features?

Reason I ask is because the reviews I am reading for the flat face triggers have several complaints that the trigger safety is difficult to disengage depending on how the gun fits the shooter's hand.  If I have the option to avoid that issue altogether, I would be more inclined to do that.  How have others adapted to flat face triggers, or was it not an issue for you?

Thanks!!

In production division the safeties cannot be disabled.