Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer choice looking for advice

Glock17open

First I must stay with a short statement, I am asking for advice on primers for an open Glock 17.  I just bought a ckarms 2011.  The Glock didn't like rifle primes, I have always used Winchester Magnum small pistol primers. I will be going to the range tomorrow, to test and break in the new gun.  I'm looking for suggestions for primers.  Will the CK like rifle primes.  I have loads several groups of loads for the new gun to test.  My load is 6.8 of WAC, 125grn blue bullet an all of 1.16.  I will be taking my chronograph. But I have a large amount of rifle primes. Looking fo suggestions.

Why small rifle magnum for pistol ammo? I like S&B SPP for range ammo. When they’re available, they’re cheap. They load and work fine for me.

Fiocchi is a close second, and better in one way. S&B are just brass and will build up corrosion if treated badly. Fiocchi are nickel plated and so corrosion resistant. They’re usually cheaper than most of the other brands (other than S&B). The only real annoyance with them is their packaging in trays of 150. Dillon pickup tubes/primer magazine can’t handle much more than 100 at a time.

I’ve used both of these (and CCI) in a variety of Glocks and pre-lock S&W K-frames, and had no problems.

25 minutes ago, njl said:

Why small rifle magnum for pistol ammo? I like S&B SPP for range ammo. When they’re available, they’re cheap. They load and work fine for me.

Fiocchi is a close second, and better in one way. S&B are just brass and will build up corrosion if treated badly. Fiocchi are nickel plated and so corrosion resistant. They’re usually cheaper than most of the other brands (other than S&B). The only real annoyance with them is their packaging in trays of 150. Dillon pickup tubes/primer magazine can’t handle much more than 100 at a time.

I’ve used both of these (and CCI) in a variety of Glocks and pre-lock S&W K-frames, and had no problems.

I am loading for an open gun, rifle primes fully ignite the powder and are often more consistent.  My Glock would not strike the primers hard enough to ignite the cartridge.  Because rifle primes are harder but burn hotter. Therefore I am looking for advice specific to open guns

Edited by Glock17open

Ok you’re shooting a pistol and I assume it’s stock with no spring changes.

I don’t shoot a 1911 in USPSA, but you can fool around with hammer spring changes to find the best combination of ignition and slide action. Lot’s of other things breads about this.

1. There is zero reason to use magnum primers

2. There is zero reason to use  rifle primers 

3. Winchester WSP are perfect for all stock and most modified pistols. 

4. Federal small pistol  primers  are the softness and easiest to set off.

5. Match primers are no different than basic ones, just more QC.

Use either Winchester WSP or Federal SP, do not use rifle primers (Todd Jarrett said the same thing in a class I took from him). Keep it simple.

Edited by HesedTech

I disagree, having used SRMP for a number of years, in 1911s only.  Have never had a primer fail to ignite, or create any other problems.

For what I load - see above - it simplifies things quite a bit.  Presses only set up for one primer size, never any confusion about which primer to use.  1911 or 2011 is the same thing as far as ignition portion of gun goes.

6 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

I disagree, having used SRMP for a number of years, in 1911s only.  Have never had a primer fail to ignite, or create any other problems.

For what I load - see above - it simplifies things quite a bit.  Presses only set up for one primer size, never any confusion about which primer to use.  1911 or 2011 is the same thing as far as ignition portion of gun goes.

Yep. I run Federal SRP mostly in my Open guns. I think they are fairly soft as far as rifle primers go. I can also run CCI SPP with little if any difference in performance.

Just run Rifle primers in your CK

Edited by Sarge

38 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

SRP work in every 2011 open gun I've owned/own

they'll run fine in the CK as long as they are seated! correctly, i.e. flush or slightly below!

This.  Check the breech face after a while to make sure it doesn't show any signs of gas cutting, but it shouldn't with 9 major pressure.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

Steve it's ok to disagree and as I wrote with an open 1911/2011 you have a huge variety of hammer spring combos that will fire rifle and the harder primers. The point I'm making is pistols, including open guns, don't need them (rifles) so why use them (except for standardization)? Most of the 1911/2011 USPSA shooters I know use WSP or Federals (maybe an occasional other brand), but this is a hobby and we all have are opinions. 

And I believe the OP ask what our opinions are. I gave mine and what Todd J also gave in his class (a shooter was using magnum SRPs in his Glock and was having all sorts of light strikes).

http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/uspsa/opticssurvey.pdf

2017 National - Open Guns Primers:

48% Winchester

31% CCI

16% Federal

<1% Others

Carry Optics:

38% Winchester

30% Federal

27% CCI

5% S & B

Edited by HesedTech

Federal SPP are too soft for me.  WSP are okay, except they are often slightly oval and stick in the primer tube.  They are also much slower to load using an auto primer tube filler.  I'll put up with them as long as I can get them $25/1000 cheaper than CCI 500.  I prefer CCI 500 for everything except bullseye.

My primary purpose in using the SRPs is standardization, since I load for a rifle - AR-15 in .223/5.56 - I do need a rifle primer so that is what I also use in 9mm and .45ACP (small primer cases, of course).  Obviously, as per Sarge's post above, other people besides myself us them.  I understand that if you don't use 1911/2011 style guns you will need to either use a "softer" primer or possibly modify your spring setup.  And now I have given my opinion.

15 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I gave mine and what Todd J also gave in his class (a shooter was using magnum SRPs in his Glock and was having all sorts of light strikes).

This isn’t exactly apples to apples. A Glock which likely had a lightened striker spring is a very different situation than a 2011 open gun. Glocks can be very primer sensitive when the triggers are significantly lightened. Conversely, you can tune a 2011 trigger lighter than any Glock and still have it ignite anything you put in it. 

1 hour ago, Kixx said:

This isn’t exactly apples to apples. A Glock which likely had a lightened striker spring is a very different situation than a 2011 open gun. Glocks can be very primer sensitive when the triggers are significantly lightened. Conversely, you can tune a 2011 trigger lighter than any Glock and still have it ignite anything you put in it. 

Kixx I also wrote this in context:

16 hours ago, HesedTech said:

as I wrote with an open 1911/2011 you have a huge variety of hammer spring combos that will fire rifle and the harder primers. The point I'm making is pistols, including open guns, don't need them (rifles) so why use them (except for standardization)?

I have a 1911 (as all good gun owners should) that I built. Shoots very accurate and has a wonderful trigger, so I fully understand what can be done. However, I shoot and load for Tanfoglio/CZ use in USPSA and the OP asked for advice for his Glock not his 2011.

23 hours ago, Glock17open said:

I am asking for advice on primers for an open Glock 17

Just trying to help. I guess rabbit trailing on the internet is what we do.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:03 AM, Glock17open said:

First I must stay with a short statement, I am asking for advice on primers for an open Glock 17.  I just bought a ckarms 2011.  The Glock didn't like rifle primes, I have always used Winchester Magnum small pistol primers. I will be going to the range tomorrow, to test and break in the new gun.  I'm looking for suggestions for primers.  Will the CK like rifle primes.

It would appear that in the first sentence he is asking about primers for an open Glock 17.  In the second sentence he mentions just buying a CKArms 2011.  Next sentence he says the Glock didn't like rifle primers.  Fourth sentence, going to range with new gun.  Sixth sentence he is looking for suggestions for primers.  Seventh he asks if the CK (2011) will like rifle primers.

From the above we can deduce his Glock doesn't like rifle primers.  Second, he is asking about rifle primers in the CK Arms 2011.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

From the above we can deduce his Glock doesn't like rifle primers.  Second, he is asking about rifle primers in the CK Arms 2011.

Ok Steve you win. But you may notice he asks for advice on both guns.

Actually we really don’t know what advice he wants. He has these RPs and two different  guns , one can use them the other can’t. So how about this, the OP give you the RPs and buy SPPs that work in both guns?

Would that be a compromise?

Don’t you love the internet and all us experts.🙃

BTW I’m trying to lighten things up a bit, this is a hobby and like other things we all have an opinion.

Edited by HesedTech