Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Hammer Not Locking Back

saibot

I have a 9mm Trubor that I recently got as a backup gun that only has a couple hundred rounds through it. It has a Brazos trigger kit that was put in day one. Today I was shooting it and the gun would stop because the hammer wasn't locking back. I pulled the leaf spring and bent it a bit thinking it might need more pressure on the hooks, and although it helped a bit, it still wasn't great. Any ideas on what might be going on with it?

Thanks, all!

Edited by saibot

56 minutes ago, Powder Finger said:

if going to 1/2 cock make sure the sear spring isn't going off the side of the sear.

It doesn't seem to ever go to the half cocked position. I'll fire a couple of rounds and then the gun will stop because the hammer is fully against the firing pin. I'll check this though.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, saibot said:

One other thought. I recently noticed that the trigger was moving too far back and adjusted the over travel screw. Any chance that could cause this issue?
Thank guys for helping out a 2011 noob!

Is it possible that the screw isn't allowing the trigger to reset and the hammer is coming back with the slide? 

1 minute ago, anbrumm said:

Is it possible that the screw isn't allowing the trigger to reset and the hammer is coming back with the slide? 

Sounds possible. Any idea how to check (besides going back out to the range to test fire)? Anything I can measure to verify? I'd love to know for sure so I have confidence in the gun.

Thanks!!!!

Just now, saibot said:

Sounds possible. Any idea how to check (besides going back out to the range to test fire)? Anything I can measure to verify? I'd love to know for sure so I have confidence in the gun.

Thanks!!!!

Does the issue happen in dry fire? Could try this.. Verify gun is empty, cycle slide, drop hammer with the trigger, continue holding and rack the slide again. Does hammer follow the slide? or can you release and drop the hammer again?

8 minutes ago, anbrumm said:

Does the issue happen in dry fire? Could try this.. Verify gun is empty, cycle slide, drop hammer with the trigger, continue holding and rack the slide again. Does hammer follow the slide? or can you release and drop the hammer again?

OK, just tried it and the hammer doesn't follow the slide. I tried it about 25 times and it stayed cocked every time.

Make sure the sear has a little side play in the frame. Happened to me one time when I installed a new sear , it was moving freely but no play and the hammer would follow sometimes. Took the sear out and ran it over a piece of sand paper about 10 times, problem solved.

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

Why not take it to a gunsmith to fix?

What fun is that?

:)

I'd like to check the low hanging fruit first and see if it's something simple. I find that I learn more when something doesn't work properly and I have to work through the process to fix it. You guys are great at providing ideas for me to explore and I really appreciate it!!!

"How much side play ?"

Only about .002" or .003".

Also, remove the grip safety but put everything else back in place and do this:

Hold the trigger back and pull the slide back, look and make sure the disconnector drops down below the sear feet with at least .002" clearance, a piece of paper is about .003" thick.

Anyway, this is how it suppose to go :

You pull the trigger, the gun goes Bang, the slide goes back and presses the disconnector down below the sear feet, that releases sear so it can swing back and catches the hammer.

Edited by Vmax606

1 hour ago, saibot said:

What fun is that?

:)

I'd like to check the low hanging fruit first and see if it's something simple. I find that I learn more when something doesn't work properly and I have to work through the process to fix it. You guys are great at providing ideas for me to explore and I really appreciate it!!!

This is your 2nd or 3rd "Fix my gun" threads so far that up to this point ended up being some pretty basic stuff to resolve. If you are not mechanically inclined enough to figure this stuff out on your own with basic mechanical logic troubleshooting then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Some things are best left to professionals. Especially when it comes to screwing around with trigger actions on firearms. Do you really want to risk creating an unsafe trigger action that leads to disabled safeties, accidental discharges, or even burst fire / full auto failures? It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Keep in mind that you are 100% liable for every round that fires from the gun. In a best case you only shoot yourself. Worst case you end up shooting someone else.

Working on guns is no different than working on any other complex mechanical machine. Get proper training to work on it or have a trained gunsmith do it for you.

I just bought a used trubor recently and a few days ago installed the same trigger group as you. When i first installed it everything worked fine. Then I got this idea that I won’t go into but I messed with it and then the hammer wouldn’t lock back, sounds like the same issue you’re having. So I took it back apart, didn’t adjust anything, put it back together and it was back to working right. I put a few hundred rounds  though it yesterday and it ran without hiccup. The pull is 1.5lb. But I think when I messed with it and the hammer stopped locking back the sear spring might have idk shifted around or something, wasn’t positioned right. Idk, wish I knew what caused it when it happened to me. But it works now. I’m thinking some part of the leaf spring is the cause of your issue. 

5 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I just bought a used trubor recently and a few days ago installed the same trigger group as you. When i first installed it everything worked fine. Then I got this idea that I won’t go into but I messed with it and then the hammer wouldn’t lock back, sounds like the same issue you’re having. So I took it back apart, didn’t adjust anything, put it back together and it was back to working right. I put a few hundred rounds  though it yesterday and it ran without hiccup. The pull is 1.5lb. But I think when I messed with it and the hammer stopped locking back the sear spring might have idk shifted around or something, wasn’t positioned right. Idk, wish I knew what caused it when it happened to me. But it works now. I’m thinking some part of the leaf spring is the cause of your issue. 

Thanks for the tip! I have made some adjustments and hope to get out to the range soon to test it out.
Appreciate all of the help.

Hello; When testing new stuff only load one round in the magazine. Do this for about 10 shots to make sure it is not going full auto. Next load two rounds and test again. Last thing you want is loading up a magazine and it goes full auto when you rack the slide. Be safe. Thanks, Eric

8 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello; When testing new stuff only load one round in the magazine. Do this for about 10 shots to make sure it is not going full auto. Next load two rounds and test again. Last thing you want is loading up a magazine and it goes full auto when you rack the slide. Be safe. Thanks, Eric

A big plus one to this!!!