Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springer Precision Guide Rod

tomjerry1

Just got a Springer Precision guide rod for an XDM to use 1911 springs, no instructions, and I was on their site to look for instructions, but I'm missing something. The separate hat washer(spacer) goes on the guide rod with the hat washer facing towards the open end of the guide rod?

Are you talking about the guide rod bushing? It goes in the slide at the front. XDM guide rod larger dia than the springer rod, the bushing reduces the size of the hole in the front end of the slide.-----------Larry

5 hours ago, Supertrunk said:

New to the XDm platform, other than access to a lot more spring options, any other advantage to this?

Thanks.

Not really, but after shooting 1911s for years I had a drawer full of springs, lots more choices.------------Larry

Same for me, the lowest weight spring for the XDM guide rod I've found is 14#, wanted to try a lower weight? Going out to the range today with a 12 and 13# springs to give it a try, will let you know how it works. My only concern is the bushing, I've emailed Springer to see if I can get an extra or two for when I loose this one.

Do NOT go too low with the spring weight, and fire full power loads. I managed to use an 11 lb spring only to chew up the guide rod end where it contacts the barrel lug. After contacting Springer it was relayed to me the slide will move too fast and tear the rod up.

A fine time to tell me Lucille.

21 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Well, went to the range and ended up with an 11# spring, a lot better than the 14#.  Not shooting full power loads, right at minor power factor, but will keep an eye on the guide rod.

I was referring to a .40 caliber, I doubt you will shoot major in 9MM.

If you do, well.................

And a certain someone will have a bad discussion with you,,,,lol,,,lol.

Yep, 9mm, really helped with recoil. Also a note, I find the Vortex Viper to be a better sight than the Venom. Both are 6MOA, clear lenses, but zeroing is much more positive on the Viper. Will say the battery replacement is easier on the Venom. Venom manufactured in Philippines and Viper in China.