Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oldest someone has been and made GM?

I would think a guys 2nd GM would be easier at a older age simply because he started the 2d division as a Master. I think the age at the first one is more telling. We had this discussion at the shop some time ago , Benny Hill made GM at 48 and his thoughts were that 3 or 4 years later he would never have made it. And by the way, at 72, after a knee replacement, a 6 way by pass and the loss of his left eye there are still days he can turn up the wick and lite the bad ass fire.--------------Larry

On 12/21/2018 at 5:30 AM, Larry White said:

I would think a guys 2nd GM would be easier at a older age simply because he started the 2d division as a Master.

Maybe. Seems like for most of us it is very easy to get to a division lower than where we are so I don't know that getting 85% would be a challenge for somebody who had done 95%+ . 

49 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Maybe. Seems like for most of us it is very easy to get to a division lower than where we are so I don't know that getting 85% would be a challenge for somebody who had done 95%+ . 

Good point, but 95% with a open gun then doing it again with older eyes and a production gun are two different things. I,m  mostly thinking of the time evolved. This person would be an accomplished shooter at any rate. But if he dropped down to a A the progression would take longer just because of the way the classifier system works. I just feel there is an advantage there. But hats off to a guy that can get 1 GM let alone 2 or more. I couldn't do it once let alone twice.---------------Larry

Edited by Larry White

25 minutes ago, Larry White said:

Good point, but 95% with a open gun then doing it again with older eyes and a production gun are two different things. I,m  mostly thinking of the time evolved.

If you did it that way (long time elapsed) I think you are correct. 

Agree that anyway you do it, it would be a heck of a thing. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

If I cant make it in '19 I don't think I  ever will.

48 years old ain't that old     🤩

Got a few top tennis pros in their late 30's doing wonderful things.

Take a LOT of nutritional supplements and you can still do it for

the next decade.     :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
I'm 47. I got to 94% a couple times in Prod. So close but not quite for my first GM. If I cant make it in '19 I don't think I  ever will.

Depends on when “middle age” catches up with you.I’m 54 and I’m nowhere what I was at 47.Vision was handled with glasses but the arthritis is a pain literally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, et45 said:

Depends on when “middle age” catches up with you.I’m 54 and I’m nowhere what I was at 47.Vision was handled with glasses but the arthritis is a pain literally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my trifocal glasses this week