Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oldest someone has been and made GM?

I am going to bet no one past their 50s, cause this is an active sport and age does have something to do with it.  So if there is anyone out there that made GM at 60+, chime in and I will gladly change my opinion...

I am going to bet no one past their 50s, cause this is an active sport and age does have something to do with it.  So if there is anyone out there that made GM at 60+, chime in and I will gladly change my opinion...

Agreed. If anyone 60+ has made GM please post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, RJH said:

Steve Speer made GM after 50.  Enos member Josey Whales  

A26597

I think he told me he was 72 this year & I just looked up his classification record on the USPSA website, looks like he had to be past 60 from eyeballing the data.

Side issue, I think our system sucks, throwing out all scores 5% off minimum for your current class is just a dumb idea. That has nothing to do with the fact that GM is a great achievement. 

5 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

A26597

I think he told me he was 72 this year & I just looked up his classification record on the USPSA website, looks like he had to be past 60 from eyeballing the data.

Side issue, I think our system sucks, throwing out all scores 5% off minimum for your current class is just a dumb idea. That has nothing to do with the fact that GM is a great achievement. 

He was a member since 94, and the classification records only went back to about 2000,  and he had to be a GM before that cause he only had 5 (to my count)  GM range classifiers in the last 19 years, so i dont think he made GM past 60

I will ask and report back. 

We thought he made gm in limited past 70 but it was a screw up on our part and he did not 100% the classifier as we thought. That would have been adding the good one to some ancient scores, but that is how the system works. 

EDIT; Correction, he did 100% 09-04 (pucker factor) that day, Our screw up was in thinking that would raise the average enough to break 95. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

15 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

That would have been adding the good one to some ancient scores, but that is how the system works. 

I just looked again, he has 100% counting in limited from 02, that is crazy.   Not his fault obviously, and it does look like the classification stuff could use a little tweaking.  Out of curiosity, where does he place in matches as far as amongst  the other classes in his division?

Edited by RJH

17 minutes ago, RJH said:

where does he place in matches as far as amongst  the other classes in his division?

He still wins overall at some of the locals, although this is becoming infrequent and there is a GM PCC shooter that will win by a good margin if he is there. The PCC guy is a super squad level shooter in his prime so it is not so bad that he puts some distance on an open shooter though. 

Without bothering to get scientific about it maybe something like the very top of A class or the middle of M. 

I want to add a caveat to my first post on this subject, to say that i dont think someone past 60 will make their *first* GM, that was what i was thinking when i typed it.   After seeing the classification for the shooter posted above and the way the system is currently working, it would not be a stretch for some one to make GM in a division when they were 40 and then hero or zero classifiers and after 20 years finally string together enough to make GM in another division, since all the lower ones would end up getting thrown out....

Bosshoss, on this forum sort of backed into GM a few years back. He doesn't play the classifier games but tries to get the match scores.

Not sure of his age at the time but my guess is early 50's. I was impressed by this.