Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun sight mount options...mine is off center(?)

vgdvc

Alleluia! After some to-do I finally received my Brazos Custom SC open pistol today. Until I build some loads and get to the range I can only dry- fire (which I guess is smart before I launch a bunch of .38 Super downrange). I am new to open division. My question is regarding the mount. It holds the Cmore slide ride off center of the slide to the left about 1/4". It seems awkward to me and I am considering some non offset mount.. Original owner said it is set up like this from Brazos to help ensure no ejection issues. He is a retiring M class shooter so it obviously didn't negatively affect him. Is anyone experienced with this type of mount arrangenent or other options to suggest. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

lots of companies build theirs like that-you'll get used to it.  i've shot one (cheely) for 4 years now and i don't notice it at all.  if you were shooting 500 yard targets with it, that would be another story.

Gotcha. Thanks for the input. Does it mess up the draw when going to another pistol w/o an off center. Do you think it's necessary in a .38 Super for reliable ejection?

5 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the input. Does it mess up the draw when going to another pistol w/o an off center. Do you think it's necessary in a .38 Super for reliable ejection?

It’s not going to mess up your draw. You’re over thinking it. Is it necessary for 38? I don’t know. 

Without being a d*ck - leave it alone!  You got it from a M class.  It was built that way by Brazos.  Your new to Open.  Leave it be.

I have 2 Brazos blasters and other than stippling and lot of practice they are the way Bob built them.

54 minutes ago, BLUTO said:

Without being a d*ck - leave it alone!  You got it from a M class.  It was built that way by Brazos.  Your new to Open.  Leave it be.

I have 2 Brazos blasters and other than stippling and lot of practice they are the way Bob built them.

Thank you for the dose of "real". My OCD and  over-analytical nature sometimes leads me to search a fix for a problem that doesn't exist LOL. 

I can understand your concern; it really bothered me to have an offset mount since the bullet moves both horizontally and vertically relative to the dot.  Your bullet will cross the "windage" at only one point, and at other distances you will have to hold left or right to hit the dot.  I got a Dawson Precision mount for a CMore, and it is centered above the slide and barrel.  I am sure there are other mounts that center the red dot sight, also.  My open gun has never had ejection issues.

Yeah once you get to these type of blasters they fall onto two categories - clusters and runners.  Brazos tend to be runners.  You can tweak until you make it a cluster.  Build some loads, dry fire and learn the gun - don't over think it :)

I spent a tremendous amount of time trying to make my first Brazos just a hair better until the GM I got it from literally slapped me and pointed out that the gun was a hell of a lot better than I was....

If it really bothers you, change out the frame mount and sight.  I have Sliderides and DPPs, and prefer the DPP.  The offset mount is only necessary for 9mm major and frame mounted Slideride, because it is so long.  All of the shorter dots can be mounted centered with no ejection problems.  38 S/SC does not have this problem.

If your backup gun has a centered dot, it WILL cause you find-the-dot problems when you draw.

Edited by zzt