Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zdot vs accupower vs accupoint

tk4

I have a 1-4 Meopta zdot.  I am very happy with the glass and eye box.   I am looking to add a scope that has a usable reticle on 1x for speed if the illumination is out.  

The Accupoint 1-4 does not rely on batteries.   The Accupower 1-4 can be had with the thick broken circle around the dot which should be usable for speed on 1x (my bushnell with thick circle dot is, but the eyebox while magnified is lousy).

Am I correct about the Accupower reticle?  Will both or either of the Trijicons compare in glass quality and eye box to my zdot?

Is there anything else in this price range I should be considering?

I have all 3 optics you mention. The glass is a little better on the Meopta, with the Accupoint a close second. My Accupower is not bad, but not as clear for my eyes on the edges as the others when on 1X. I shot the Accupoint with green triangle for years and it works well on  large targets out to 400yds. On 1X the green triangle is very fast. With many matches in my area going out to 500yds and smaller plates, plus 56 year old eyes, I shoot a BURRIS 1-8 XTR II. On 1X ithe illuminated dot is nearly Aimpoint bright and has very clear glass. Eyebox is less forgiving though. I got mine for $900. My Accupoint is on my HD carbine now. For me the  zdot is not visible on dark backgrounds without the illumination on. 

11 minutes ago, grsdoug said:

I have all 3 optics you mention. The glass is a little better on the Meopta, with the Accupoint a close second. My Accupower is not bad, but not as clear for my eyes on the edges as the others when on 1X. I shot the Accupoint with green triangle for years and it works well on  large targets out to 400yds. On 1X the green triangle is very fast. With many matches in my area going out to 500yds and smaller plates, plus 56 year old eyes, I shoot a BURRIS 1-8 XTR II. On 1X ithe illuminated dot is nearly Aimpoint bright and has very clear glass. Eyebox is less forgiving though. I got mine for $900. My Accupoint is on my HD carbine now. For me the  zdot is not visible on dark backgrounds without the illumination on. 

I wish the zdot had a thick horseshoe.

How does the glass clarity of the accupower compare to the zdot on 4x?  Is the eyebox as forgiving as the zdot?

Clarity of the accupower is not as good as the zdot. My much older accupoint is closer to the zdot. I also found the accupower reticle to be cluttered for tight shots, even at close range (like say a partial headshot with a noshoot). The simple green triangle really stands out, and as you said, no batteries needed. Even in the dark with a 200 lumen light, I can see the triangle(brighter lights can make it less visible indoors) . The eyebox on the accupower is not as forgiving as the zdot or the accpoint.

Thank you.   

Are there any more expensive optics that will offer the clarity and forgiving eyebox of the zdot with a thick horseshoe or segmented circle reticle with bullet drop?

7 hours ago, tk4 said:

Thank you.   

Are there any more expensive optics that will offer the clarity and forgiving eyebox of the zdot with a thick horseshoe or segmented circle reticle with bullet drop?

Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x with CM-R2 reticle (https://www.leupold.com/reticles/reticle-cm-r2-illuminated-41)

It's not daylight bright but meets your other requirement (expensive, clarity, forgiving eyebox, segmented circle, bdc).