Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 10/22 Question

cferree

I've read in several posts that a factory Ruger 10/22 will "wear out" in time.

I'm looking at getting a RFRO rifle over the winter, and I'm trying to decide between building a factory 10/22 (Target Lite?) or buying one of the high end rifles (Volquartsen or Tactical Solutions).

I'd like to know from RFRO shooters who have "worn out" factory guns what wears out and how long did it take (5K, 10K, 25K rounds). 

I know extractors and firing pins can cause issues in Rugers (I've replaced them in my Ruger pistols).

Thanks for the info.

6 hours ago, revolver45 said:

If you have any intent to get serious about Rimfire/Steel Challenge,  get a rifle made for that type of shooting from one of the top rifle makers for the sport. I recommend Volquartsen. I have one and with the right ammo, performs flawlessly. 

How does it shoot with CCI Standard Velocity ammo?

I use it in my .22 pistols and it works well...  Not sure how it would work in a longer rifle barrel.

What "wears out"? The chamber is part of the barrel, the trigger group is replaceable, the stock? The Ahhhh what wears out?

I had a 10/22 with something like 50 or 60K through it and it is still going strong today according to the buddy I sold it to.

Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions are fine but that stock 10/22 with a bit of trigger work and maybe a lightening job will outshoot you. If you miss it ain't the gun.

The 2 10/22s I have now will both shoot an inch or under at 50yd with ammo they like.

Or, spend the money for a custom gun. It's all up to you .

But, the 10/22 won't be the reason for a lack of success.

9 hours ago, cferree said:

I've read in several posts that a factory Ruger 10/22 will "wear out" in time.

I'm looking at getting a RFRO rifle over the winter, and I'm trying to decide between building a factory 10/22 (Target Lite?) or buying one of the high end rifles (Volquartsen or Tactical Solutions).

I'd like to know from RFRO shooters who have "worn out" factory guns what wears out and how long did it take (5K, 10K, 25K rounds). 

I know extractors and firing pins can cause issues in Rugers (I've replaced them in my Ruger pistols).

Thanks for the info.

Alright, three things came to mind reading this thread.

First, anything requires maintenance and everything “wears.”  If you shoot any rifle enough to wear it out, well, kudos to you cause you will be a champion and happy to replace it.  I don’t think this is something to worry about.  Now mags, yes, they ALL wear and need replacing, at least ones fit for competition use.  I have some retired to practice only.

Second, someone posted above if you want to be serious about the sport you need to go expensive.  If your wallet allows, by all means, sure.  But under no circumstances is that true.  There is some personal preference to what may feel good or point or move better for you than something else, and that should be the focus.  I started this game with a S&W 15-22.  Made GM in about a season and a half with it before even replacing the trigger.  I’m still shooting it and now and it just has a trigger, CMore, and a comp invested, and quite frankly it not only keeps up with the several thousand dollar rigs, it’s been beating most all of them that come to this area, even sponsored ones.   Even when the new, lower peak times come in January, this gun will be over 100 percent peak time.  I’m not the best by far, but that less than 500 dollar gun has been getting it done for three years now with at least 2 to 3 matches a month and thousands of practice rounds.  Last guy that smoked me used same thing straight off the shelf. Have been seeing and hearing more popularity with the 15-22 cause they just run and run and run.  Point is, no, it is not necessary to drop the load of cash on a volquartsen.  Again, with that said, they are amazingly well done guns.  But no one who knows anything about this game is going to tell you you have to go expensive to get into this game, nor get serious about it.  Only two things matter - shoots accurately, and runs reliably.  The reliability is in the mags, and it’s good to point out the lowest end 10-22 and the highest end volquartsen run on the exact same mags.

Last, it appears you are from Atlanta.  Steel Challenge is very established there and up the coast.  Look for Steve Foster, he’s one of several champions in that area and is happy to help.  Steve is from Atlanta too if I remember correctly and trains shooters in that area.  There should be a wealth of info on the ranges in your area if you are not already involved.  

Good luck.  See you out there!

Edited by Hammer002

My gunsmith is adament that 10/22’s will take a dump after about 15,000.rounds, and he has worked with many of them.  I have far more than 15,000 through mine (haven't a clue on the actual number) and it is fine.  The only difference I can tell between my one gun and his many is that I built mine using Kidd parts... or maybe I’m just lucky.  Mine is getting more finicky, used to be able to run Golden Bullets all day long but no more. However sCCI Standard Velocity still runs like a sewing machine. 

My advice, FWIW, is to buy a built gun directly from a company like Kidd or Tactical Solutions if you can afford to spend the money all at once.  Yes it is more expensive than building off your own 10/22 but by the time you’re done buying everything as a quality add-on, it’s within a few hundred dollars, you’ve got a property built gun with a factory warranty, and you’ve saved yourself a whole lot of trouble.  And you’ve got a better receiver.  

Edited by jkrispies

25 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

My gunsmith is adament that 10/22’s will take a dump after about 15,000.rounds, and he has worked with many of them.  I have far more than 15,000 through mine (haven't a clue on the actual number) and it is fine.  The only difference I can tell between my one gun and his many is that I built mine using Kidd parts... or maybe I’m just lucky.  Mine is getting more finicky, used to be able to run Golden Bullets all day long but no more. However sCCI Standard Velocity still runs like a sewing machine. 

My advice, FWIW, is to buy a built gun directly from a company like Kidd or Tactical Solutions if you can afford to spend the money all at once.  Yes it is more expensive than building off your own 10/22 but by the time you’re done buying everything as a quality add-on, it’s within a few hundred dollars, you’ve got a property built gun with a factory warranty, and you’ve saved yourself a whole lot of trouble.  And you’ve got a better receiver.  

What does your gunsmith say that will go wrong with them? I have an old Marlin model 70? that I bet has 50k rounds through it, no problems..and my 10/22 probably has 5k through it, no problems. 

What wears out? (asking again 'cause I don't know). Mine have all shot without failure (except the aforementioned mags) and are as fast and accurate as anything out there. I routinely place higher than the AR15/22s and "custom" 10/22s.

Of course, if something is headed for a breakdown, I would love to know.

Maybe it's the "Indian not the arrow"?

Ever run a stock 10/22 at a match? Or for a season?

Of course if you are looking to look good or "one-up the Jonses" you may have to run custom.

Ever wonder how the guys that just jumped to Ruger run box stock guns at matches and place in the top group all the time?

I watched them at the SC Nats and they were shooting stock guns and were kicking butt.

Just sayin'.

12 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

What does your gunsmith say that will go wrong with them? I have an old Marlin model 70? that I bet has 50k rounds through it, no problems..and my 10/22 probably has 5k through it, no problems. 

Feeding issues. I think the implication is that the receiver will go out of spec with enough use.  Personally, I don’t see it, but I only have experience with my single gun, whereas he used to run a youth shooting school and had a bunch of 10/22s on hand for the kids to shoot.  So... maybe... the other differing factor between mine and his is that teenagers aren’t handling my gun????   If I were to take a SWAG on mine, I’d say that it’s pushing 50,000 rounds after 8 years of use.  I wouldn’t shoot a different platform, but when this one eventually gets retired, I’ll replace it with a Kidd or Tactical Solutions.  

6 hours ago, jkrispies said:

If I were to take a SWAG on mine, I’d say that it’s pushing 50,000 rounds after 8 years of use.

NICE!

In limited, far and few conversations, I have heard people say the rifling and/or lands wear at extremely high round counts, claiming accuracy loss.  Nothing lasts forever I guess, but I don’t think those concerns are something most us need to worry about.

5 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

NICE!

In limited, far and few conversations, I have heard people say the rifling and/or lands wear at extremely high round counts, claiming accuracy loss.  Nothing lasts forever I guess, but I don’t think those concerns are something most us need to worry about.

Mine has a Kidd barrel, and I have no doubt that the barrel will last forever shooting mostly subsonic .22lr.  On the face of it, I personally wouldn't have any issue doing it all over again with a stock 10/22.  HOWEVER I built my 10/22 before after market receivers were a thing.  Nowadays when I compare what it cost me to purchase the initial OEM gun, then individually getting all the parts, not to mention a couple trial and error parts that ended up in the spares drawer, plus the time it took to install everything, etc., vs. what it would cost to simply buy a built gun from Kidd that has all the same parts I currently have plus more... it just doesn't make sense to not go with the gun built on a better receiver and bolt.  Yes, more expensive, but not that much more expensive in the long run.  My next one is going to be ordered already built.

If I can get two plus seasons out of a Target Lite, I'll be happy. It has the Ruger upgraded BX trigger.  I know it's not "an insert your favorite after market trigger" here.  And it has a threaded barrel for a comp (for the timer not for the harsh 22LR recoil).

I'm a pistol guy who want a RFRO to take to majors.  If I make M in a year and have a gun that will run CCI SV or MM's I'll be happy (my RFPO will shot both of those reliably).  I know ammo is a crap shoot.

Hammer002, I shoot with a guy in Atlanta that has a 15-22.  He finally upgraded the trigger earlier this year.  I've seen it have one Failure to Fire in 10+ matches.  That's the quality or lack of, with 22 LR ammo.  He tries to convince every chance he gets to get a 15-22.

Thanks all for the input.  

1 hour ago, cferree said:

If I can get two plus seasons out of a Target Lite, I'll be happy.

I'm a pistol guy who want a RFRO to take to majors.  If I make M in a year and have a gun that will run CCI SV or MM's I'll be happy (my RFPO will shot both of those reliably).  I know ammo is a crap shoot.

Hammer002, I shoot with a guy in Atlanta that has a 15-22.  He finally upgraded the trigger earlier this year.  I've seen it have one Failure to Fire in 10+ matches.  That's the quality or lack of, with 22 LR ammo.  He tries to convince every chance he gets to get a 15-22.

46 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

My gunsmith swears by the 15-22 as adamantly as he swears against the 10/22.  I think that one is kinda turning into a Chevy vs. Ford argument.  

2 seasons?  lol.  You should get many years out of it, even at high use.

Passing on advice given to me, Eley Contact in the rifles is amazing.  When I changed to it, I literally took 3 seconds off my total time immediately.  You wouldn't think there is much recoil to a .22 rifle until there is NONE!

I have had 3 malfunctions in the time I have had the rifle.  One cost me first place in a level II on showdown - it was a magazine issue.  The second was the exact same malfunction, teaching me what happens when you wear out the 15-22 mags - the front of the plastic feed lips wears away, allowing the round to stand up straight and not feed.  The third was a really weird deal where the ejected brass somehow bounced back in the chamber area and BEHIND the incoming round pointing up and down.  Locked it up tight.  Otherwise = outstanding reliability.

Chevy vs Ford...maybe.  I think each have completely different "styles" due to the way the stock is made.  The 15-22  allows me to stand up straighter and far more square.  For example, on Smoke N Hope, I stand with both feet nearly side by side with maybe the right foot an inch further back, so nearly completely square, and let the hips/knees do all the work like shooting a pistol = upper body like a turret.  With a 10/22, due to the stock angle and comb, I need to drop my right foot much further back and bend at the waist, leaning into the rifle.  Perfectly normal shooting stance, just different than the AR stance.  The shooting movement then tends to involve the arms and shoulders in addition to the waist and knees to move the rifle. 

I think both rifles themselves are equal in reliability, its the mags that are so different.  The 15-22 mags are flawless until greatly worn, and its easy to see when that happens cause two bullet heads will protrude above the lip entry.  The 10-22 mags are greatly flawed, or at least greatly inconsistent, and for competition, you have to find ones that like to run AND tune them AND maintain them to get 100 percent reliability.  Once you do so, the 10/22 can be just as reliable, just saying its a little more work.

Edited by Hammer002

8 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

The 10-22 mags are greatly flawed, or at least greatly inconsistent, and for competition, you have to find ones that like to run AND tune them AND maintain them to get 100 percent reliability. 

Where can I find information on tuning 10/22 mags? 

Getting a steel challenge 10/22 setup for Christmas.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Don’t get anything other than factory 10 rounders and you’ll be fine.  I’ve never had or heard of an issue with 10 round  Ruger mags... other than they are a PITA to reassemble after cleaning.  Frankly I’d rather buy new ones than clean dirty ones LOL.  I’ve started to simply spray them with G96 polymer safe CLP and it’s worked okay so far.  They do make a reassembly tool that I need to get.  

Edited by jkrispies

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Where can I find information on tuning 10/22 mags? 

Getting a steel challenge 10/22 setup for Christmas.

I don’t shoot them, so all my info is second hand from the guys I shoot with and help.  Apparently there is a strong preference of either the black over the clear, or could be visa versa, managing the spring, aligning the follower, and even wrapping electrical tape around the outside to maintain position in the magwell.  My understanding is there are YouTube vids out there, but I haven’t looked since I was making the decision a couple years ago, and you my have to ask guys that use them.  Wish I knew off the top off my head to be exact, but it’s just not info I use regularly.  It’s out there though.  I do know they are susceptible to malfunction when dirty and not fun to clean.

...and the mag thing is interesting to me, because over the years shooting various 10/22s for various reasons, I've had more problems with factory Ruger 10/22 10-round mags than I have with 25-rounders. 

And for me, of all things, the Champion (clear, with green plastic followers) 25-round mags have been ridiculously reliable.  The BX-25 ones have worked out just fine, also, AS LONG AS I keep wiping down the front of the mag lips.

I probably have a good 8-9 10-rounders that aren't reliable, though.  :)

The good thing is that right now, mags for 10/22s aren't expensive.

🤔 Maybe from the sound of this thread I’m the luckiest 10/22 owner ever.  It's all factory 10 round mags around here that I see with no complaints. It might be related to environmental conditions?????   I do know that if you don’t get the spring tensioned correctly after reassembly you’ll be in a world of hurt, but I chalk that up to user error and not equipment.