Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting .45 down to 125pf?

aandabooks

Great info.

I'm running a 625 as well.  It's already a ton of fun.  No Clay's by me, currently.  I'm running 185's and 200's with a moderate load of W231 and it's fine.  I may have to try TrailBoss at some point although I'm not a fan of the smell.  

But, it'll be fun.  

Question is why try to run at 125? You are not going to win any intergalactic awards running a 45 in production. Get the PF up to a reasonable level where the round is  consistent and safe, and I'll bet you will not be able to tell the difference in recoil. If the outside of the case has black carbon on it, up the powder level until it seals in the chamber. You will probably find that somewhere around 150 will be the magic number.

I run a 185gn bullet at about 155 -158pf with tight group in a Les Baer. Very consistent accuracy and sd, and recoil is a kitten...

jj

1 hour ago, RiggerJJ said:

Question is why try to run at 125? You are not going to win any intergalactic awards running a 45 in production. Get the PF up to a reasonable level where the round is  consistent and safe, and I'll bet you will not be able to tell the difference in recoil. If the outside of the case has black carbon on it, up the powder level until it seals in the chamber. You will probably find that somewhere around 150 will be the magic number.

I run a 185gn bullet at about 155 -158pf with tight group in a Les Baer. Very consistent accuracy and sd, and recoil is a kitten...

jj

What TG load data do you use

plus oal, recoil spring etc.

I have a colt 1911 with an rmro6 that I'm building for my 80+ year old dad to use as a varmit gun on his farm.( old eye's & arthritic his old .22lr with iron sights don't work well for him anymore).

I have it spring with a 7# recoil spring and worked up some 230gr sns TG loads from 2.8gr up to 4.0gr.

1.250" oal, .470" crimp.

I have not had a chance to test it yet because of the heavy snow & sub zero temps in the Dakota's.

Perhaps I should start a new Thread..

Thanks

TG

I load 230gr Bear Creek bullets (or plain lead mostly these days) at 1.25 oal w/ 2.8gr of Bullseye and it is my favorite Thursday night steel load. W/ the Bear Creeks it clocks at 550fps out of my 5 inch Rock Island making 127pf. 

When I was first experimenting w/ this load ... I also tried 2.8gr of Clay Dot (which went about 25fps faster) and 3.4gr of Green Dot which went 590fps ... making 135pf.

All cycled well ... I run a 12lb spring in the RI. Fun to shoot; knocks everything down.  

18 hours ago, jim m said:

Anyone running 3.4 to 3.6 N310 with  200 grn..?  Looking for a light range load. 

Thanks in advance

Jim

Forget about it.  N310 under a 200 is wildly inconsistent at those levels.  At 3.8gr you start to get consistent with SDs in the 12 to 20 range depending on temp.  You have to above 4.0gr to get consistency.  Yes, that's more than the reloaders manual, buy VV says it is perfectly safe.  N310 is horribly temp sensitive and expensive.  I eventually went with Aliant e3.  Much more consistent at lower velocities and no temp sensitivity.

• 4 weeks later...

I set up a load for my .45acp for Minor and the only test I did was 3.8gr of Clay's under a 180gr LC. This gave me an average of 839 ft/sec and a PF of 151. Was using an 11lb spring but too heavy. Brass barely trickled out. Swapped to an 8lb and it helped.

This is video of shooting that load with the 11lb. spring

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk