Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nowlin Arms

blaese490

They were very reputable back in the day and built a lot of bianchi cup wining guns,  ipsc guns and bullseye guns.  I’ve used their barrels in recent builds. The design and quality appears to be the exact same as it’s always been which is top notch. Not sure who’s actually running the company now as Sr. is long gone and I don’t think any of the kids are involved (but I could be wrong on that). 

I just had a build completed by Spencer Race Guns using a Nowlin .40 bull barrel and pro match action kit. Very happy with both. The trigger kit yielded a really nice crisp trigger with almost no pre-travel, and very little (if any) over-travel. The barrel looks very well made and has produced tight groups with my reloads.. which were just the bullets I’d cranked out last season for my STI.

I had egw trigger parts in my STI, and while it produced a good trigger as well I actually prefer this new one from the nowlin parts. The nowlin is a tad heavier (still sub 3lbs) but had less movement before and after the break ... granted the egw parts were installed and fit by a gunsmith and the nowlin parts were literally just dropped in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I put a Speed Demon kit in my 1911 from them. Everything went in without any issue. Did have to file on the thumb safety some to get it to properly engage/disengage, but followed directions online and took it slow. 10/10 would buy the same kit again.

19 hours ago, pjb45 said:

My SV has a Nowlin C/P cut.  Gnats ass accurate.  Tight chamber.  Very fast. ~>60,000 rounds and still accurate.

Nowlin C/P cut?  I thought our SV's use a C/P/lisner cut not a Nowlin cut?  AFAIK Nowlin barrels only has the Nowlin/Wilson cut for their ramped barrels?

Edited by HIREDgun45
typo

2 hours ago, HIREDgun45 said:

Nowlin C/P cut?  I thought our SV's use a C/P/lisner cut not a Nowlin cut?  AFAIK Nowlin barrels only has the Nowlin/Wilson cut for their ramped barrels?

Schuemann and Strayer were friends.  Sandy developed a fixture that he used to test the barrels.  The SV barrels were of a Wil's design but later were improved upon.  

1 minute ago, pjb45 said:

Schuemann and Strayer were friends.  Sandy developed a fixture that he used to test the barrels.  The SV barrels were of a Wil's design but later were improved upon.  

Yeah, I remember at the old shop they had that fixture in a tiny closet-like space shooting down a tube.  Must have been pretty damn loud in there with an open gun.

• 2 years later...

I just don't like their recommended installation guide. They are adamant that the rear barrel lug recess depth should be 0.040" (1.01 mm) and must never be cut.

I believe that a larger distance is in order for high volume, high pressure loads such as IPSC, USPSA and Pin shooting. Once I seated the barrel deeper I had a fit that lasted much longer.   Jim

On 7/15/2021 at 4:27 AM, jim vaughan said:

I just don't like their recommended installation guide. They are adamant that the rear barrel lug recess depth should be 0.040" (1.01 mm) and must never be cut.

I believe that a larger distance is in order for high volume, high pressure loads such as IPSC, USPSA and Pin shooting. Once I seated the barrel deeper I had a fit that lasted much longer.   Jim

I've never had to deepen the recoil lug recess on a Nowlin barrel and almost all end up requiring a number 4 link which gives more than adequate lockup.  I'm also not sure how having a higher lockup increases longevity.