Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 dawson basepads

WidowsSon683

As Clint alludes to above, most standard 1911 mags have an overinsertion stop on the front lip of the basepad. It would generally contact the bottom of the frame/grip when mag is fully seated.

If you have the Dawson magwell with the "no gap" insert, it doesn't allow a space for the standard basepad to seat. That insert ONLY works with the Dawson "No Gap" basepads. The actual magwell is the same either way; just different inserts. So you could get a different insert with gap or different basepads with no "insertion stop"...

There's even a listing in the Classifieds right now for 7 of the NG basepads, that might work for you depending on the configuration on the bottom of the promags...

1 hour ago, Clint U66 said:

Do you know which insert is in the magwell?  Also, will the mags not seat because the magazine is contacting the magwell insert on the front bottom edge of the magazine?

Im not sure which insert it is. The mags catch on back of the factory base pad. Ill post a pic.

Just now, wgj3 said:

As Clint alludes to above, most standard 1911 mags have an overinsertion stop on the front lip of the basepad. It would generally contact the bottom of the frame/grip when mag is fully seated.

If you have the Dawson magwell with the "no gap" insert, it doesn't allow a space for the standard basepad to seat. That insert ONLY works with the Dawson "No Gap" basepads. The actual magwell is the same either way; just different inserts. So you could get a different insert with gap or different basepads with no "insertion stop"...

There's even a listing in the Classifieds right now for 7 of the NG basepads, that might work for you depending on the configuration on the bottom of the promags...

Oh. Its the gap insert. 

I just looked on the dawson site and I didn't see any basepads for promos mags.  You might try giving them a call and see if they have something that works.  I definitely don't know BUT the ones that fit metal form mags may fit.  I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

13 minutes ago, WidowsSon683 said:

Thats why i was askin if any of the dawson pads fit since they are made to work with the magwell.

They have the Dawson pads to fit a variety of mags, so there's a possibility...

If you remove that promag basepad, what the bottom of the mag look like?

Any chance it's the same as the Wilsons you have...?