Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Complete Disassembly, Cleaner, Lube

SingingShooter

It’s time for me to fully disassemble (not merely field strip!) my Colt Competition 1911. I’ve never done it before. I’d like to know what you use to thoroughly clean everything once disassembled, and advice on lubricants and lubricating during reassembly.  THANKS!

It’s time for me to fully disassemble (not merely field strip!) my Colt Competition 1911. I’ve never done it before. I’d like to know what you use to thoroughly clean everything once disassembled, and advice on lubricants and lubricating during reassembly.  THANKS!
Uspsa competitor here and a full tear down with "thorough" cleaning like you're talking about isn't needed. Take it apart, get a standard cleaner (nothing harsh that strips away coating) such as CLP, use a small toothbrush and clean everything up a smooth surface. Pull the necessary parts back up and get it ready to run again

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

After you have done it a few times, you will realize it's very easy to do. CLP is a good cleaner/lube. The frame doesn't need to be cleaned very often. Clean everything and apply a thin film of lube where parts rub each other. I  clean my slide after shooting @ 2500rds. You want to keep the firing pin and extractor clean. Gunk will build up there. I use pipe cleaners on the extractor and firing pin tunnels. Safety check the gun after re-assembly. 

I use either Rem Oil or Hoppes for the cleaning of all parts that would be found in the frame of the pistol.  Once everything is cleaned and ready for reassembly, you will want to use some sort of grease (something light and something that won't get slung off like oil but not too heavy) for the engagement points of the hammer and sear, the trigger where it contacts the disconnector and where the disconnector contacts the sear spring.  Other than that, I use a little slide glide lite on the frame where the trigger rides and a little on the contact points of the  thumb safety and sear.

47 minutes ago, SingingShooter said:

How did you determine it was time to detail strip?  I used to run tens of thousands of rounds through a 1911 with only the normal field strip cleaning.

1 minute ago, Catmanduex said:

How did you determine it was time to detail strip?  I used to run tens of thousands of rounds through a 1911 with only the normal field strip cleaning.

Well, I've ran about 8K rounds through it. Figured it was due. I would appreciate yours and anyone else's opinion on that as well! Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, SingingShooter said:

Well, I've ran about 8K rounds through it. Figured it was due. I would appreciate yours and anyone else's opinion on that as well! Thanks in advance!

Its a matter of preference.  You could probably run 8K more through it without issue BUT if you are like me and just like to keep things fresh and keep an eye on parts for wear,  tear it down and clean it whenever you feel like it.  I typically do mine every few thousand rounds.  Definitely not necessary but not a bad idea either.

A complete teardown and cleaning is a good idea every 10k or so.  Even with "clean" burning powder, after that many rounds a lot of crud builds up in the firing pin bore and extractor bore.  The bottom ends isn't as bad but it certainly doesn't hurt to clean, inspect and lube.  As for what to use, it really doesn't matter.  Hoppes, CLP, or etc. all work fine for cleaning.  For lube, there's lots of threads with people going on about what works best.  So let's not start another one.

There are probably a 100 video's on YouTube on disassembly/re assembly of 1911. Check those out.

I tear mine down when they start feeling grungy !  10-15k

It's a good thing to know for general purpose maintenance  etc.

I've never looked at the Atlas video's (not one of they're fanboys) but many people on BENOS say they have a lot of 

video tutorials.  They might have one on basic disassembly etc

I'm with ltdmstr.  For me that is once a season.  I currently use WeaponShield cleaner and CLP lubricant, because it works better than everything else I've tried.  I completely disassemble and clean everything I can reach with the WS cleaner.  Then I put almost everything into an ultrasonic cleaner with warm Slip 2000's 725 cleaner.  That takes care of the places you can't effectively get to otherwise.  Rinse with warm water, dry and lube everything.

For guns I don't like to take apart (staked parts, tiny springs, etc.) I spray thoroughly with Rem Action Cleaner, let dry and lube.

Helpful hint.  Put the gun in a gallon Ziplok bag when removing parts that may go sproing.  EG, removing the left thumb safety will cause the plunger tube spring to shoot across the room if not captured.  Then you get to crawl around trying to figure out where it went.  Heaven help you if the pins fell out, because you now have to find three tiny little things.

I like this video for disassembly/reassembly.

I will do it once or twice a year but with my Open gun, the extractor and firing pin channels get a little more attention.  Not necessarily with every field strip but definitely before any major match

https://www.google.com/search?q=nic+taylor+1911+disassembly&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=xJQhI1Wli9g6yM%3A%2CNb2phyegLPWWbM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRGlLW_t246-SutGibkhsKCJUHAVw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRuq_doqffAhXQUt8KHUgiA_QQ9QEwCnoECAIQBA#imgrc=xJQhI1Wli9g6yM:

20 hours ago, Balakay said:

I like this video for disassembly/reassembly.

I will do it once or twice a year but with my Open gun, the extractor and firing pin channels get a little more attention.  Not necessarily with every field strip but definitely before any major match

https://www.google.com/search?q=nic+taylor+1911+disassembly&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=xJQhI1Wli9g6yM%3A%2CNb2phyegLPWWbM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRGlLW_t246-SutGibkhsKCJUHAVw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRuq_doqffAhXQUt8KHUgiA_QQ9QEwCnoECAIQBA#imgrc=xJQhI1Wli9g6yM:

I was looking for this exact video on full disassembly, but wasn't able to locate it. 

I did find the series 80 slide disassemble video (if the OPs gun is series 80) 

NicTaylor00 has a lot of good 1911 videos.

Usually a real thorough cleaning is needed on the slide, and it's components. That's where most of the powder fouling accumilates. Remove the firing pin stop, firing pin, extractor, and clean out all those areas. Any good cleaner will do.

And at 8K rounds through it, you should've already replaced the recoil spring and the the firing pin spring.

Edited by Postal Bob

• 1 month later...

When I do a full disassembly......I place the parts/frame/slide in mineral spirits and let it soak a while.  I brush where necessary with a soft nylon brush.  I then remove blow with compressed air and allow the solvent to evaporate.  I then spray a light coat of break free on everything and blow with compressed air again.

Clean you barrel.  Lube/grease where necessary on reassembly

Keith