Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for pistol and PCC

TDF

What was the ejection pattern like? My brass lands about 6 feet away and slightly aft. At some point I did some loads at 3.2 grains to see if they would function and they just dribbled out. But they did work.

I wonder if it could be a chamber tolerance difference maybe. My PCC definitely seems to have a looser hole than my TSO, as the cases from the PCC have a fair amount of carbon blowback whereas the CZ produces very clean cases. 

maybe 2.9 grs TG just isn't allowing enough seal to form to let that fairly light load work well.

Edited by Blockader

6 minutes ago, Blockader said:

What was the ejection pattern like? My brass lands about 6 feet away and slightly aft. At some point I did some loads at 3.2 grains to see if they would function and they just dribbled out. But they did work.

I cant honestly tell you. I didnt shoot that much though it because of the way it was running, I just know that it does not like that load for sure. I am just going to try a slower powder like others have sugested and see how that works. I may just end up having to load 2 different loads, one for pistol and one for PCC. I appreciate everyones input though.

6 minutes ago, echotango said:

3.9gr TG, 121MG @ 1.120" is 130pf thru SS and 137 thru PCC w/14.5". 

Yeah, that is what others have said, i guess with the 124s and the increased powder it runs ok. Maybe i will try some 124s with the TG and see if they will run ok in both.

3 hours ago, TDF said:

I wonder what the deal is with the JP and my pistol load then. Like i said, i am only running 2.9 grains of TG with a 147 grain blue bullet and that load is perfect out of the G34 giving me 130pf, but when i try to run it in the PCC is acts very sluggish and unreliable. Maybe you are running ok with the 124s having more powder, I am guessing.

When this whole pcc thing started up I spent a lot of time testing differen bullets and was mostly looking for something with decent accuracy out to 100 yards.  At that time I had no plans to shoot uspsa and was going to shoot a few "outlaw" style matches.  I tested everything from a 95 grain at 1800fps to a 165 at 850 fps.  What I ultimately found was that the 124 seemed to be most accurate AND reliable.  I tried a few different powders (320, 3n38, 7625 and tight group) and honestly there wasn't much difference in the faster burning of that bunch.  Had plenty Tightgroup on hand so went with that.  

I'm using the RMR 124 fmj rn bullet with wsf powder at ~1.135 oal in both my pistol and pcc. For the pistol I load at 4.3 gr of powder, and 4.1 gr for the pcc. All I have to change on the press is rotate the micrometer dial on the powder measure. Both shoot at 130 pf.

I built 2 PCCs one has a Wilson barrel the backup has a KAW..at the same time my buddy built his with a KAW barrel too...after testing 8-9 diff powders we settled on WST & Longshot, the dramatic challenge was the KAW barrel ran 200 fps on average faster than the Wilson, this includes 2 other Master level shooters in our gang that have JPs. Barrels can make a dramatic diff on which powder/Chrono results you get. We tried Clays and Titegroup and found ALL  3 barrel makers preferred TG a little hotter load for overall consistent behaviour. In your barrel, 2.9 may not be enough horsepower.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:02 PM, TDF said:

I wonder what the deal is with the JP and my pistol load then. Like i said, i am only running 2.9 grains of TG with a 147 grain blue bullet and that load is perfect out of the G34 giving me 130pf, but when i try to run it in the PCC is acts very sluggish and unreliable. Maybe you are running ok with the 124s having more powder, I am guessing.

Yes it seems it could be the 147 grain.

I have been loading universal clays for both pistol and pcc (scorpion).  Which I think is a slow powder.  But switched to titegroup for this upcoming year and I’m not sure what my load will be.  Planning to use 125 jacketed RN.  And I will also be running a GMR 15 as well.  I’m very worried that it will burn too quick on an adequate pistol load. 

1 hour ago, Ofishl1 said:

I built 2 PCCs one has a Wilson barrel the backup has a KAW..at the same time my buddy built his with a KAW barrel too...after testing 8-9 diff powders we settled on WST & Longshot, the dramatic challenge was the KAW barrel ran 200 fps on average faster than the Wilson, this includes 2 other Master level shooters in our gang that have JPs. Barrels can make a dramatic diff on which powder/Chrono results you get. We tried Clays and Titegroup and found ALL  3 barrel makers preferred TG a little hotter load for overall consistent behaviour. In your barrel, 2.9 may not be enough horsepower.

Yeah, thats what i am thinking also. After erveryones responses here i have some powder options to try out. I think availability will be the dertermining factor on what i go with now.

• 1 month later...

Ive been lucky with 

BNB 124gr 1.120oal and 3.4grs of E3 w/ Remington SRP about 145pf 

BNB 135gr 1.120oal and 3grs of E3 w/ Remington SRP about 143pf ( this one is super soft and accurate... dot hardly moves ) 

this is out of a 14.5" JP stainless steel barrel

• 2 weeks later...

I use TG in my Taccom ULW upper.  It only has a 5.25" barrel so that might be part of the reason it works well.

I found 147gr didn't work very well for me at distance, but I only tried Xtremes so that might be part of it.

124gr Xtremes were okay out to 25yards which works fine for most USPSA matches but I wanted a little more.  I picked up the 124gr JHP from RMR and loaded them over 3.8gr of TG making about 135pf.  The groups at 50 yards were the same size as the Xtremes at 25 yards.

I'm working on loading up 5k of them right now even though I don't plan on shooting too much PCC this year besides maybe in Steel Challenge, going to focus on Limited this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a similar situation yesterday as the OP. I just built a 16” upper to change out with my 5.5” upper. 

Tested and ran fine with factory Fiocci 115 grain and 124 grain. With my reloads I had some that ran ok and had a normal ejection while others sounded very slow and almost squibish. Ejection was only about 1-2 feet on those. 

My components are...

124 gr FMJ RN from RMR,

3.9 grains of Titegroup 

COAL is 1.145

CCI 500 primer,

mixed cases.

unknown velocity as I don’t own a chrono yet.

These Reloads worked fine in my G17/19 and my 5.5” SBR with no noticeable felt recoil or sound. I’m on reloading on a Dillon XL650 and measure the powder every 50 rounds or so.

Edited by Steve8140