Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for pistol and PCC

TDF

I have been loading for competition for a few years and have always used tightgoup. I am looking for opinons on the best power to be used for both pistol and PCC without having to change my press setup. My PCC does not work well with the loads that i used, I am guessing the powder is to fast for the long barrel. I am shooting a JP GMR 15.

What is everyone using?

Edited by TDF

8 minutes ago, Hallz said:

What have you used?

I use:

Sport Pistol

N320

Even the WST* & N310

*WST is not recommended for 9mm by Hodgden

With 115 & 124's with JP Bolt and SCS, 14.5" and 16" barrels

I have only used tightgroup. I run 124 and 147 bullets and load them to 130 pf. I would like to find a load that works in both equally well.

Edited by TDF

2 hours ago, TDF said:

My PCC does not work well with the loads that i used.

What was the issue?

130pf production-gun loads make around 148-145pf  in a PCC and that seems to be the sweet spot for them when it comes to accuracy and reliablity.

What did you have problems with?

I use Bullseye currently, which I find behaves much like Titegroup so far as velocity at a given weight at least in handguns.

3.5gr with a 133gr bullet, 133pf from a couple G17s, accurate enough. 

159pf from a 16" very accurate, no issues.

Like Memphis, what's the problem?

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What was the issue?

130pf production-gun loads make around 148-145pf  in a PCC and that seems to be the sweet spot for them when it comes to accuracy and reliablity.

What did you have problems with?

Some will shoot fine then some sound almost like quibs. they would make it out but they didnt sound right.

1 minute ago, TDF said:

Some will shoot fine then some sound almost like quibs. they would make it out but they didnt sound right.

I had others tell me they had this issue also. I only shoot 2.9 grains of TG with a coated 147 grain bullet so there is not much powder. Maybe that is not the issue, if others are shooting that load out of a 16 inch barrel i would like to know.

The load I was using was 4.2 gr. of tight group with a 124 and it works flawlessly in a 16 inch JP GMR.  I use the same load in an MPX also.

Not sure why you'd be hearing a difference in the rounds.  I assume you have chronoed these rounds and didn't notice inconsistency in velocity?

50 minutes ago, Clint U66 said:

The load I was using was 4.2 gr. of tight group with a 124 and it works flawlessly in a 16 inch JP GMR.  I use the same load in an MPX also.

Not sure why you'd be hearing a difference in the rounds.  I assume you have chronoed these rounds and didn't notice inconsistency in velocity?

Yeah, i chrono them often since i get checked at major matches, i used a 1050 to load with. 

I was just interested in a slower powder to try and also curious what others were using for PCC.

I was running N320, wasnt as friendly in my mpx. N340 seems to be working in my mpx, sig p320, and jp gmr 15. Difference obviously being velocity. If you want the same load for everything, load for 130pf in your shortest barrel platform with an understanding that it will be a higher PF out of your longer barrels.

21 minutes ago, TDF said:

Yeah, i chrono them often since i get checked at major matches, i used a 1050 to load with. 

I was just interested in a slower powder to try and also curious what others were using for PCC.

10-4 that.  Just throwing it out there.

I have had issues in the past where TG “cakes” up causing inconsistencies. I was told it was because I left the powder in the hopper. I load in the garage so there are temp fluctuations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15 hours ago, TDF said:

Another problem with TG is buid up in the comp. I have not shot this enough to know this first hand but this is what i am told.

Most of that buildup problem come from your bullet choice. Coated or FMJ will always leave gunk in the comp that is packed in like concrete, and a pain to clean. I run a plated everglades  bullet and my gun loves them.

I also think you should drop bullet weight. Here’s why: Loading for the same power factor, you are  running (roughly) half a grain more charge weight. A super light 124gr load is going to be around 3.2-3.4 grains, and that will cause titegroup to burn more consistently and more cleanly.

Most of that buildup problem come from your bullet choice. Coated or FMJ will always leave gunk in the comp that is packed in like concrete, and a pain to clean. I run a plated everglades  bullet and my gun loves them.

I also think you should drop bullet weight. Here’s why: Loading for the same power factor, you are  running (roughly) half a grain more charge weight. A super light 124gr load is going to be around 3.2-3.4 grains, and that will cause titegroup to burn more consistently and more cleanly.

I may try some 124s, i have alway shot 147s in the pistol but may give the 124s a try and see if that works better.

A 124 at around 140pf was a pretty popular choice with the top 10 PCC shooters in this year’s nationals.

I like the faster cyling; I think the gun is slightly more reliable, and in my gunit shoots flatter than with 147s.

I’m going to play with a 115 next. If it’s accurate and flat I’ll have a winner. How soft the recoil feels doesn’t matter. I just want it to group under an inch at 25yd, and for the dot to stay flat.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

A 124 at around 140pf was a pretty popular choice with the top 10 PCC shooters in this year’s nationals.

I like the faster cyling; I think the gun is slightly more reliable, and in my gunit shoots flatter than with 147s.

I’m going to play with a 115 next. If it’s accurate and flat I’ll have a winner. How soft the recoil feels doesn’t matter. I just want it to group under an inch at 25yd, and for the dot to stay flat.

Yeah, i understand that. My goal was to have a good load for both pistol and PCC but i may have to end up with 2 different loads to get the best performace from both.

I tried to have one load for production,SS, and PCC and gave up the PF for the  pistols we’re barely minor to have the PCC hit 135

what I settled on was 4 gr of W231 under

115 blue bullet gave me a135 PF thru the PCC

135 blue bullet gave me a135 PF thru the handguns

by simply changing bullet weights it allowed me to load both without having to change the settings on my press

I am using the same load for my PCC and CZ TSO without any issues. I am using 3.6 gr Sport Pistol, which is nearly as fast burning as your TG, with 124 plated bullets at 1.10 OAL. Rifle is mostly NFA parts with a taccom buffer system. I don't think having one load work in both platforms is too out of reach and its worth a little tweaking to get there. 

All that said, I don't see how the speed of your powder burn is the issue if some of them shoot fine and some are squibbish. Seems like something else going on...

2 hours ago, Blockader said:

I am using the same load for my PCC and CZ TSO without any issues. I am using 3.6 gr Sport Pistol, which is nearly as fast burning as your TG, with 124 plated bullets at 1.10 OAL. Rifle is mostly NFA parts with a taccom buffer system. I don't think having one load work in both platforms is too out of reach and its worth a little tweaking to get there. 

All that said, I don't see how the speed of your powder burn is the issue if some of them shoot fine and some are squibbish. Seems like something else going on...

there may be something else going on. I have only shot a couple magazines through it and it just acted like there was barely enough juice to get the bullet out of the barrel. I have been running factory federal action  pistol through it and I like the way it runs. Its the off season so i was going to play with some loads and see what works.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:05 PM, Clint U66 said:

Tightgroup worked all for me.  Loaded MG 124 jhps and while there is a little difference in fps between the pistol and the pcc, it isn't very noticeable when shooting.  

I wonder what the deal is with the JP and my pistol load then. Like i said, i am only running 2.9 grains of TG with a 147 grain blue bullet and that load is perfect out of the G34 giving me 130pf, but when i try to run it in the PCC is acts very sluggish and unreliable. Maybe you are running ok with the 124s having more powder, I am guessing.