Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP pistol rules

RangerTrace

So, the rules say you cannot disable a grip safety, but what if the pistol was built from the factory without a grip safety?  Meaning it was not disabled, but designed that way?  The reason I ask, is Cheely Custom Gunworks is building me a dual purpose duty/IDPA pistol and I'd prefer to have the E2 grip with non-pivoting grip safety.

I think you will have to get an official pronouncement from HQ Bogata. 

And, if favorable, carry it around with you for when the equipment check SO can't get any activity out of the beavertail.

(Note that Cheely does not call it a "grip safety" and you should not, either.  Bad enough they call it "pinned.")

The gun was built with no grip safety.  So there was no grip safety to disable.  So the rule about disabling safety devices are not applicable.  An important notation from Jim Watson concerning the fact that the builder does not refer to that part of the pistol as a grip safety.

12 hours ago, RJH said:

I was going to say that i have seen a novak built gun with a one piece msh/beaver tail that would probably work, but it looks like you got it worked out 

It was called "The Answer", and was deemed illegal by IDPA because it removed the grip safety.

Novak hasn't sold it for a number of years.

33 minutes ago, RePete said:

It was called "The Answer", and was deemed illegal by IDPA because it removed the grip safety.

Novak hasn't sold it for a number of years.

Almost seems to contradict what the above posters said that IDPA said was legal.  Well, unless it was deemed legal on newly constructed pistols and only illegal as an add on, but i ain't sure. A lot of rules seem to be much ado about  nothing

• 3 weeks later...