Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22LR for PCC practice?

I haven’t seen any either but think it would be cool  if something were out there.  I’ve wondered if the 9mm barrel might even be wide enough for a short barrel tonslip in as part of the kit.

Having said that the Smith and Wesson .22lr M&P can be set up with AR triggers and some furniture to replicate your PCC. it would be more expensive than a conversion if you did a full replication with triggers, etc, but you could also use it for other things such as Steel Challenge or general rimfire utility jobs like rodent abatement .  

.22lr for practice isn’ ideal but it’s a lot less expensive in ammo.  If that gets a shooter out to practice more then it’s worth it.  

Edited by jkrispies
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello: I have a S&W 15/22 setup like my PCC. I also have a Ruger 10-22 with a Nordic AR conversion kit. I have Black Dog drums for both and some big sticks so I don't have to load mags at the range. I do have a AR-15 Air Force conversion someplace with some magazines as well. I would get the S&W 15/22 and some 36 round magazines from Plinkster Tactical. Also buy 22 ammo by the brick since you will have lots of fun shooting the 22. Thanks, Eric

I have the s&w 15-22 and does help that all the knobs and levers are in all the same places.

I just got done adding some weight and changing the grip to match my PCC.

Next on the list to get is a Next Level Armament charging handle and Battle Arms ambi safty.

Once I get those it will be very similar, except for the cheesy and short fore end grip.

I have a dedicated CMMG AR in 22lr. There is a local Rimfire match where I use it. Lots of fun.

The CMMG rifles and kits are super reliable with either mini-mags or Aquila HV. Reliable as in 1000’s of rounds fired with no malfunctions not hundreds. These are 223 based guns not PCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also thought about this idea. The magazines required already exist doesn't seem like it would be too terribly hard for someone to make a setup that would work. Think there would just be a lack of demand, can get 9mm ammo for half the cost of .223 so the savings aren't as dramatic.

1 hour ago, Garmil said:

I've also thought about this idea. The magazines required already exist doesn't seem like it would be too terribly hard for someone to make a setup that would work. Think there would just be a lack of demand, can get 9mm ammo for half the cost of .223 so the savings aren't as dramatic.

I think demand is the key, combo'd with the fact that S&W has made a quality product for a low price that in a lot of ways kills the need for a conversion.  Well, maybe not kill it exactly, but take enough demand out of an already limited demand that it's not really feasible to turn a profit in the marketplace after paying for the R&D.  Yes, a conversion would be way less expensive for me if I could drop it into my PCC and use the same trigger, optics, etc., etc., etc vs. buying a twinsies set to make an M&P .22 setup like my competition gun.... but your "typical mass market consumer" isn't invested into a single gun the way I am, and he's not going to be driven to replicate everything the way I would be.  Who knows, though-- maybe somebody will prove me wrong.    

Edited by jkrispies