Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC dryfire

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PCC is... long open.

Way too many guys are doing the “sprint and stop” in four positions like they’re shooting a production gun. Move whenenver you can. Practice gliding across ports and shooting while moving fairly quick. You have a rifle. Press that advantage. :D 

You didn’t mention table starts. Get really, really good at unloaded starts from the belt and off a table. A lot of us have blown one of those pretty badly.

Switching shoulders, too. Both in classifer flatfooted scenarios, and on the move to a corner with a really hard lean. I’m a lefty and locally we have lots of tight righthanded leans. I got pretty good at swapping shoulders, so it’s amusing now to watch the righties who don’t work on it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

A nice little tip I’ve found during dry fire is if you stick something in the ejection port to hold the bolt back an inch and a half or so, the safety still works and the trigger works.
I use my plugg’r chamber flag inserted longways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

PCC is... long  Minor open.

Way too many guys are doing the “sprint and stop” in four positions like they’re shooting a production gun. Move whenenver you can. Practice gliding across ports and shooting while moving fairly quick. You have a rifle. Press that advantage. :D 

You didn’t mention table starts. Get really, really good at unloaded starts from the belt and off a table. A lot of us have blown one of those pretty badly.

Switching shoulders, too. Both in classifer flatfooted scenarios, and on the move to a corner with a really hard lean. I’m a lefty and locally we have lots of tight righthanded leans. I got pretty good at swapping shoulders, so it’s amusing now to watch the righties who don’t work on it.

correction, 
PCC = Open Minor 😋

not only do you need to worry about reducing transition time(move and shoot),
need to get your hits

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

unloaded starts of all varieties

presentations aka "draws"

mag changes

shoulder changes

set ups to leans, both sides. both shoulders

moving and shooting

target transitions.

there you go, two hours of dry fire.

I do the same as noted here. For target transitions and acquisition I practice with all sighting system ( primary, secondary & laser) if you have this. 

8 hours ago, rowdyb said:

unloaded starts of all varieties

presentations aka "draws"

mag changes

shoulder changes

set ups to leans, both sides. both shoulders

moving and shooting

target transitions.

there you go, two hours of dry fire.

Good list, Rowdy...

How do you best orchestrate the change from right shoulder to left?  I have trouble figuring out where to put my hands during the transition while still holding the gun...  especially if I am trying to do it on the move.

23 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Good list, Rowdy...

How do you best orchestrate the change from right shoulder to left?  I have trouble figuring out where to put my hands during the transition while still holding the gun...  especially if I am trying to do it on the move.

There is a video on here somewhere. Basically move gun to other shoulder, grab in front of magwell with the hand you will be firing with. Now that you have 2 points of contact, move opposite hand to handguard, then move other hand from magwell to grip. Same process when you move back to other shoulder. 

Edited by HoMiE
Added link

Basically just like the video homie put up.  Change both hand positions for movement. Make movement. Put hands back to fire/control positions.

You have to play with the timing of the change during the different points in your movement to find what will let you be back on sights/targets the quickest.

53 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

There is a video on here somewhere. Basically move gun to other shoulder, grab in front of magwell with the hand you will be firing with. Now that you have 2 points of contact, move opposite hand to handguard, then move other hand from magwell to grip. Same process when you move back to other shoulder.

36 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Basically just like the video homie put up.  Change both hand positions for movement. Make movement. Put hands back to fire/control positions.

You have to play with the timing of the change during the different points in your movement to find what will let you be back on sights/targets the quickest.

Thanks, guys...  Grabbing the magwell seems to be the point I was missing...  Keeps better control of the rifle...  I kept trying to grab forward on the handguard and then fumbling with my hands...  Video helps...

How I switch shoulders from strong to weak:

1. Offhand moves back to front of magwell.

2. Strong hand moves from pistol grip to out on handguard.

3. Weak hand goes to fire control.

Where the stock is moved to the opposite shoulder varies depending on how you’re moving uprange/downrange/sideways or if you’re static.

Many people move the strong hand forward to the magwell first. I find that I can be more agressive snapping the offhand backward and gripping the magwell on the trip backward, then accomplish the rest on the move. It’s personal preference. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic
2 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Nice video, Homie!  I'm going to add that to my training routine.

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

i think i read it here on this forum, pcc is an accuracy division disguised as a speed division.

That's how Steel Challenge was once explained to me... and it was by the guy who invented it.  I think that's good advice regardless of the game and gun so I continue to incorporate fundamentals-type training into my routine as well as USPSA specific skills. 

Edited by jkrispies
3 hours ago, motherFNbrandon said:

for stages where a string might be freestyle, reload, then weakhand, can the freestyle portion be done on the weak side, so that no shoulder change would be necessary?

I believe so. “Freestyle” essentially means that you can shoot however you want as long as it’s within the other rules. The rulebook never actually defines “freestyle” shooting in the same way it does strong hand and weak hand only. 

• 2 weeks later...
PCC is... long open.

Way too many guys are doing the “sprint and stop” in four positions like they’re shooting a production gun. Move whenenver you can. Practice gliding across ports and shooting while moving fairly quick. You have a rifle. Press that advantage. [emoji3] 

Yes! What this guy said. I do ben stoegers stuff out of his dry fire and dry fire
Reloaded book. And I apply that to PCC. So if it’s a classifier type drill where you shoot freestyle then change hands and go weak hand I apply that and do it. But a lot of hard left leans it’s much faster to switch shoulders coming into position, shooting that array all lefty and switching again when you can soak it up in movement.
I see righties sit there trying to act like gymnasts trying to lean out all pretzeled up takin 3-5 seconds to shoot an array cause they simply refuse to shoot lefty PCC.
Also make sure you’re engaging the safety and then switching shoulders. Ahem. Don’t ask me how I learned this the hard way [emoji23]

Good list, Rowdy...

Ok. So. Right shouldered freestyle with sight picture.

1) engage safety

2) left hand goes to mag well (Charlie Sheen navy seal)

3) switch the whole gun over to

4) right hand grabs hand guard as far forward as possible

5) Left hand grabs pistol grip

6) re engage safety

7) start squirting bullets all over the place.

Oh and something I forgot to mention. When you grab the mag well change your foot stance. So instead of left foot forward you want to go right foot forward. I try to maintain a pretty neutral stance when shooting carbines or whatever butttt you wanna make this a habit so you’re more squared up and able to transition a bit better through an array while maintain a better NPA