Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2: 30K breakdown maintenance

Flyingpig

Well its that time of year. Figure its about time for a little maintenance. Since I got my S2 last November I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 rounds down range.

Over the course of the year I have replaced the slide stop(broken) , recoil spring,hammer spring, ejector (broken), and trigger return spring. I'm fixing to do a full breakdown and cleaning any time now and was wondering what parts might be a good idea to change out as long as I have the gun apart. I'm sure some of you have more rounds through yours. What might I want to think about replacing for next season?

Thanks in advance.

My suggestions are based on my experience w/SP01 and 67k but never 30k in a year.

1. Look at rnd count when you replaced the parts you mentioned, if available. If parts are getting high on rnd count change them. Else, R&R all springs.
2. Slide stop maybe
3. Inspect all pins and replace if you can id any problems.
4. Measure FP length for wear. Inspect for peening.
5. Carefully inspect sear and hammer hooks for wear. Use magnification, as high as you can.
6. Depending on bullet you use and powder your barrel may be showing wear/erosion. Borescope if you can. Mine had to be replaced at ~62k. Eroded to point bullets began key holing occasionally. All jacketed and all Titegroup.
7. Complete tear down except for sights and cleaning. If rear sight is adjustable, remove disassemble and clean. Inspect pin.

You should have a receiver completely stripped. A slide with front sight and maybe a fixed rear attached.

If you run a fixed rear there should be a gap of 0.001-0.002” between bottom of sight behind dovetail and the slide. If there isn’t remove sight and inspect for signs of cracks/fatigue just behind the dovetail. The gap provides strain relief. Without it you have pressure pushing rear of the sight upward. Eventually it will fatigue and break near dovetail.

Hope I’ve hit everything. Hope it is at least helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, GeneBray said:

My suggestions are based on my experience w/SP01 and 67k but never 30k in a year.

1. Look at rnd count when you replaced the parts you mentioned, if available. If parts are getting high on rnd count change them. Else, R&R all springs.
2. Slide stop maybe
3. Inspect all pins and replace if you can id any problems.
4. Measure FP length for wear. Inspect for peening.
5. Carefully inspect sear and hammer hooks for wear. Use magnification, as high as you can.
6. Depending on bullet you use and powder your barrel may be showing wear/erosion. Borescope if you can. Mine had to be replaced at ~62k. Eroded to point bullets began key holing occasionally. All jacketed and all Titegroup.
7. Complete tear down except for sights and cleaning. If rear sight is adjustable, remove disassemble and clean. Inspect pin.

You should have a receiver completely stripped. A slide with front sight and maybe a fixed rear attached.

If you run a fixed rear there should be a gap of 0.001-0.002” between bottom of sight behind dovetail and the slide. If there isn’t remove sight and inspect for signs of cracks/fatigue just behind the dovetail. The gap provides strain relief. Without it you have pressure pushing rear of the sight upward. Eventually it will fatigue and break near dovetail.

Hope I’ve hit everything. Hope it is at least helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome run down! Now that I think of it I'm at more like 25k but thats still a lot of rounds. Thanks for the reply!