Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
sasquatch981

Whidden Gun Works or Forster Dies for PRS loading?

I guess if I put this in the right forum I might get more answers  😆

So I have been lurking around the Whidden site, and am intrigued about the click adjustable dies.  However, I had been using Forster dies for my 6.5x47 Lapua.  I use the dillons for the .223, and pistol, but want the extra precision of the PRS rifle dies.  Any recommendations, or are the Reddings, or others just as good?  I have a 50% certificate for Redding dies that I could use.

For the limited Precision loading I have done I used RCBS competition dies and was happy with them.but of the two you are asking about I would go with forster.

Forster dies. I had whidden and both sets had to go back

Forster full length bench rest dies and Redding competition shell holders to control shoulder bump.

Brass spring back after sizing varies with the cases age and brand of brass.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, bigedp51 said:

Forster full length bench rest dies and Redding competition shell holders to control shoulder bump.

Brass spring back after sizing varies with the cases age and brand of brass.

+1

I agree with the posts above. Forster FL dies produce less neck runout than any other FL die I tried over the years (Redding S-die, Dillon, RCBS, Lee).

+1 for Forester micrometer seating for and Redding - I use both on 6.5 creedmoor 

I had some quality issues with Whidden dies. Was told they were the best, but was not seeing it. Others like them, but only use Forester now. Own quite a few sets including their press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Stuey,

What kind of quality issues did you have?

Thanks.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:26 AM, RGA said:

Hi Stuey,

What kind of quality issues did you have?

Thanks.

I have the same question.

Whidden is in my home state and I'd prefer to give him the business....but only if the quality is up to expectation. 

Forster for sure.

Whidden makes good stuff and is an incredible shooter, but he still needs to work the bugs out of his dies.

I had a set of Whidden 6.5x47L dies.  They were incredible.  The gun was an absolute laser.  The ammo I built with those dies was awesome.  I sold the rifle and the dies went as well.  I'm bummed to hear that they're having some QC issues.  

I run Redding dies for my .223 FT/R rifle and am very happy with them. (I know they weren't an option).  Midrange.  Got me to Marksman first season.  I didn't shoot last year as I'm concentrating on pistol right now for a variety of reasons.  But the dies worked well for me.  

Everything rifle is loaded on a Forster CoAx.  

Good luck.