Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no 42 round magazines?

I really wish that magpul or ets would just make a 42 rounder so we wouldn’t have to fiddle with extensions and springs and stuff. I wonder why they don’t. I also wonder what’s taking magpul so long to release their 27 rounder...and why they would even bother with a 27 rounder when they could just release a 42 rounder and the world would be a better place. That’s all 😁

Hello: Well if you use the Glock 33 round magazine and add a plus 6 base pad that gives you 36 rounds which will do do any USPSA pistol stage. If you have to reload after 36 rounds you are going to loose. Add a plus 10 or a Taccom coupler you are good for any stage I have seen. The reason the magazine companies don't want to invest on making new molds for PCC is that the demand will not be that much. How many people will buy 10 42 round magazines? Magpul would be better off making an extension for their magazines that could be used with their 21 round 9mm magazines. Maybe a plus 20 base pad. Thanks, Eric

I've always wondered why ETS doesn't make a longer magazine, too...  They recently came out with 140mm and 170mm magazines for Limited and Open...  I suspect longer PCC magazines will be available soon...

In a world where a 31 round ETS magazine is $21 and a TF 10 round extension is $60...  ETS could make a killing charging $40 or $50 bucks for a 41 round magazine...

I bet it has something to do with the fact that if you have a slim bodied mag that long with that much spring pressure you would run into mag bulging issues. I've had issues with factory mags bulging when I run them on a big extension and load them up all the way. 

Edited by Mac-pcc
1 hour ago, stick said:

I think the companies are not making dedicated PCC mags.  All the manufacturers are making mags that will primarily fit pistols.  

This. Competitive PCC guys are perhaps 0.5% of  magazine sales. So we get factory mags with extensions made by companies who specalize in this market.

Using a TF +10 with a Glock 33 mag,  I've never had to reload on a normal USPSA stage.  The last match I shot was a Monster match and one stage was 62 rounds but no issue reloading during movement.  My buddy ws using a MBX 57 round mag which eliminated all reloads except for the stage previously mentioned. 

Factory glock mags with an extension of your choice is still the best bet. I prefer MBX ones but the taylors and others seem to work just fine providing its a glock donor mag. I tried the 21 rd magpuls and there now regulated to loading practice as the feed lips are worn out. But yeah economics says we are to small of a market. I personally can't wait to go to better steel mags anyway. Hopefully QC10 or NFA will make lowers for Sig or 2011 mags.

On 12/17/2018 at 6:16 PM, Old3GNR said:

Using a TF +10 with a Glock 33 mag,  I've never had to reload on a normal USPSA stage. 

Glock 33 mag with the TF +10 is all you need .... and the TF extension makes for a nice grip if you had to reload.

The key for me is not to load past 36, works flawless so far.

On 12/17/2018 at 6:32 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

This. Competitive PCC guys are perhaps 0.5% of  magazine sales. So we get factory mags with extensions made by companies who specalize in this market.

It's never the competitive guys, they are just the ones that DEMO the mags for the rest of us.  I attended a match in the Chicago area last year (travelling) and I was very surprised to see one of my fellow competitors had 25-30 Factory 33 round glock mags in his bag, and EVERY one of them had TTI on them.  My bag had 1 ETS 33 with a TF, and 5 more ETS 33 with no pad.   

His bag was FULL of mags, and he was not a top competitor, in fact, he said he had been shooting ~6 months, and had bought all of those mags "Because Hitlery was going to ban them."   I think that those of us that compete try to have just enough reliable mags and maybe a couple of spares, but mr average joe may buy ALOT more, just to have them.  Remember, it is Never EVER about "need"...

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, zzw26n said:

The key for me is not to load past 36, works flawless so far.

Last match of the year this last October...........final stage was 40rds. It was an unloaded start and I was going to start with a Magpul 21rd mag and reload after 14 or 16rds.

I decided **** it, loaded 43 in an ETS with an MBX mini on it ( 47rds max) and went for it!

Start was flawless, mag fed just fine all the way through, now I know.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:05 AM, perttime said:

For whatever reason, IPSC has put a 33 round limit into the Provisional PCC Division.

6. Maximum ammunition capacity (maximum to be loaded) 33 rounds (32 in magazine)

Probably since it’s harder for the rest of the world to get gun parts and let colt mag vs Glock mag be somewhat even.