Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Flyingpig

Acme "new" 124gn 9mm: OAL?

19 minutes ago, chenault said:

1.50 in Sig x-5

I'm guessing you mean 1.15, what with how 1.5 is 0.331 over SAAMI max length for 9mm?

Keep em coming! I'm currently at 1.12ish  down from 1.14ish with my shadow 2. still tinkering and would like to get a general consensus.

2 hours ago, Flyingpig said:

Keep em coming! I'm currently at 1.12ish  down from 1.14ish with my shadow 2. still tinkering and would like to get a general consensus.

Your gun is the only one that matters to you.

Search for the "plunk" test if your not sure what it is.

Do the plunk test then back off .010 from the longest that will drop and spin in YOUR chamber.

General thought is that is your max OAL for that bullet and chamber FWIW

Of course. Everything is running fine in the S2. I've got other guns and trying to find a place that works on pretty much all of them. Without sacrificing too much with my competition gun. If that makes sense.

and I'm a bit lazy to plunk test the ones I only shoot occasionally. And definitely too lazy to make ammo for individual guns.

Edited by Flyingpig

I load these to 1.135 (really ranges from about 1.128 to 1.14 with mixed brass). All shoot great out of m&p pro, shield, and my pcc. I get about 98% case guage in my Hundo, and the 2% still shoot.

3 hours ago, olstyn said:

I'm guessing you mean 1.15, what with how 1.5 is 0.331 over SAAMI max length for 9mm?

Oh gosh!  Yes 1.15

35 minutes ago, crmcdm said:

I load these to 1.135 (really ranges from about 1.128 to 1.14 with mixed brass). All shoot great out of m&p pro, shield, and my pcc. I get about 98% case guage in my Hundo, and the 2% still shoot.

That seems to be about  were I'm starting to settle in.

1 hour ago, Flyingpig said:

I'm too lazy to Plunk Test  

Then, I'd guess that you will be unpleasantly surprised one day, at the range.    

2 hours ago, Flyingpig said:

and I'm a bit lazy to plunk test the ones I only shoot occasionally.

Every week at work I talk about how not taking the time to do things right costs more time than taking the time to do it right.

You've taken more time writing, coming back to, and responding in this thread than it takes to plunk test. 

And, generally speaking, laziness and the construction of small bombs is not a good combo.  ;) 

Food for thought.  ;) 

2 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

Every week at work I talk about how not taking the time to do things right costs more time than taking the time to do it right.

You've taken more time writing, coming back to, and responding in this thread than it takes to plunk test. 

And, generally speaking, laziness and the construction of small bombs is not a good combo.  ;) 

Food for thought.  ;) 

Hahaha. The BOCs are coming out of the woodworkon this thread already. I should probably plunk test every round then to assure there are no "small bombs" in the chamber. Believe me I've seen  some who claim to be way less "lazy" than me crank out the squibs. Those are the only  "small bombs" that worry me. A thousandth of an inch "probably" isn't going to blow up my gun. In fact I guarantee it wont. 🤪

50 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Then, I'd guess that you will be unpleasantly surprised one day, at the range.    

seriously? Nice edit of my post.

3 hours ago, Flyingpig said:

Hahaha. The BOCs are coming out of the woodworkon this thread already. I should probably plunk test every round then to assure there are no "small bombs" in the chamber. Believe me I've seen  some who claim to be way less "lazy" than me crank out the squibs. Those are the only  "small bombs" that worry me. A thousandth of an inch "probably" isn't going to blow up my gun. In fact I guarantee it wont. 🤪

You didn't understand the sentence.  I'm not saying that laziness leads to small bombs.  I'm saying all cartridges are small bombs, and and generally speaking, lazy isn't a good character trait to embrace while building them. 

In your case, I'm not suggesting this particular application of laziness is dangerous.  I'm saying that coming here to ask for OALs from people who don't have your gun, for the purpose of a starting point for trial and error, you've already spent more time than what it would take to do it right.  I'm not even sure that's lazy.  Seems more like stupid. 

13 hours ago, IDescribe said:

You didn't understand the sentence.  I'm not saying that laziness leads to small bombs.  I'm saying all cartridges are small bombs, and and generally speaking, lazy isn't a good character trait to embrace while building them. 

In your case, I'm not suggesting this particular application of laziness is dangerous.  I'm saying that coming here to ask for OALs from people who don't have your gun, for the purpose of a starting point for trial and error, you've already spent more time than what it would take to do it right.  I'm not even sure that's lazy.  Seems more like stupid. 

Where in my original post did I say anything about a "starting point" ? I've loaded about 4K of these so far for ONE gun (they have functioned just fine for this particular gun from 1.11 to 1.14). I was curious to see what other people are loading for their particular guns. Thats all. Was curious where the average might fall, and what others are doing. Again , lets not make this a lesson in safety or anything more than it actually is.

Edited by Flyingpig

On 12/15/2018 at 3:05 PM, crmcdm said:

I load these to 1.135 (really ranges from about 1.128 to 1.14 with mixed brass). All shoot great out of m&p pro, shield, and my pcc.

Game for me in my Glock 17 and Kel Tec Sub-2000

In my 51 years on this planet I have come to the conclusion that it takes less energy and time to do a job correctly than doing a job halfassed. 

Load your test rounds do a plunk test. Find the longest round that will plunk and spin. Then subtract .008 inch and your done. Quite literally it's only 5 minutes worth of work. That's a crap ton less work than loading a few 100 rounds driving to the range to find out they don't work correctly, driving back home and tearing the bad rounds apart. Then reloading another few 100 and maybe repeating the process.....

Just a thought.