Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Woody3025 said:

Don’t you just hate that conversation you have in your head debating on wether or not you need a particular gun part versus you just really really want it.  😂😂

...what conversation? Im am not shackled by a ring! :D

Has anyone found the need for a limbsaver or other form of recoil management? 
I put one on my CTR and while this shotgun certainly doesn't need it, it absolutely makes a difference in felt recoil ... Which translates to faster stage times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wow took the dive!
you trendsetter
Per an email from Tooth and Nail that I just got:

Great News!! We have gotten ATF Approval for Import of the magazines!! Our Pre-Order sale will continue until Monday, March 11. At that time pricing will go back to standard. The manufacturer gave us of a ship date of end of March. 

6 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

I put one on my CTR and while this shotgun certainly doesn't need it, it absolutely makes a difference in felt recoil ... Which translates to faster stage times.

I just put a rifle length buffer tube and spring in there with a JP lmos buffer. Then magpul prs stock and future compensator. The prs already has that spongy padding on the buttstock

1 minute ago, IntenseImage said:

Per an email from Tooth and Nail that I just got:

Great News!! We have gotten ATF Approval for Import of the magazines!! Our Pre-Order sale will continue until Monday, March 11. At that time pricing will go back to standard. The manufacturer gave us of a ship date of end of March. 

Nice!! Do we know if they drop free yet? The 29 round ones I mean? 

Looks like I'll be ordering a 29 and a 20 to ight along with a holosun 510c!!

Nice!! Do we know if they drop free yet? The 29 round ones I mean? 

Looks like I'll be ordering a 29 and a 20 to ight along with a holosun 510c!!
That might depend on a few things. The tab on our mags that allows for LRBHO is key. If left on, you get LRBHO but they don't drop free when at bolt lock but do drop if the bolt is closed. If you remove the tab they will always drop free (or should) since the bolt won't be locking back on empty anymore

1 minute ago, IntenseImage said:

That might depend on a few things. The tab on our mags that allows for LRBHO is key. If left on, you get LRBHO but they don't drop free when at bolt lock but do drop if the bolt is closed. If you remove the tab they will always drop free (or should) since the bolt won't be locking back on empty anymore

What tab is that? Do you have a picture of it? 

2 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

So just never run the gun dry?

Ive been asked before about mags dropping free, so here is my take on the situation ... And a modification should you choose:

* I believe that due to the design (the lever on the follower that engages the bolt catch), (unmodified) mags will never drop free if the bolt is locked back.

* If the bolt is closed the offending part is no longer in play so the mag will drop free.

For some, drop free isn't a concern, for others who will be using their VR80 in competition, it may ... So what are your options ...

* Leave the mags alone so they drop if the bolt is closed or require manual removal if locked back. In competition this means knowing your round count if you want the mag to drop, or acknowledge that you will loose time taking the extra step to pull it before going for your reload

* Modify the mag so it never locks back, even when empty so the mags drop free every time. In competition this means once again knowing round count so you reload prior to running dry. If you choose to run dry then know you need to incorporate a bolt rack into the reload and if you put the bolt handle on the weak side of the gun its a quick and simple thing to do. This also increases your chance of not realizing you went dry and getting a lovely click with no bang. Risk vs Reward ...

So ... If you want this "drop free all the time" capability what do you do ...

* Disassemble the mag and look at the bottom of the follower ... You will see a little tab on the bolt locking piece.

* Depress this tab while sliding the bolt locking piece out from the mag body - a spring will come out as well

* Reassemble0decbad5de3397f975d90222f0d2c79b.jpg

3 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I just put a rifle length buffer tube and spring in there with a JP lmos buffer. Then magpul prs stock and future compensator. The prs already has that spongy padding on the buttstock

What all was involved in putting the rifle buffer tube on? I really want a fixed Luth stock for mine. 

1 minute ago, KyleJ said:

What all was involved in putting the rifle buffer tube on? I really want a fixed Luth stock for mine. 

exactly like an ar except no springs

take the grip off exactly like an ar, take the buttstock off exactly like an ar by unscrewing the screw in the back of the buffer tube

unscrew buffer tube and replace with your choice of stock and grip

11 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

Ive been asked before about mags dropping free, so here is my take on the situation ... And a modification should you choose:

* I believe that due to the design (the lever on the follower that engages the bolt catch), (unmodified) mags will never drop free if the bolt is locked back.

* If the bolt is closed the offending part is no longer in play so the mag will drop free.

For some, drop free isn't a concern, for others who will be using their VR80 in competition, it may ... So what are your options ...

* Leave the mags alone so they drop if the bolt is closed or require manual removal if locked back. In competition this means knowing your round count if you want the mag to drop, or acknowledge that you will loose time taking the extra step to pull it before going for your reload

* Modify the mag so it never locks back, even when empty so the mags drop free every time. In competition this means once again knowing round count so you reload prior to running dry. If you choose to run dry then know you need to incorporate a bolt rack into the reload and if you put the bolt handle on the weak side of the gun its a quick and simple thing to do. This also increases your chance of not realizing you went dry and getting a lovely click with no bang. Risk vs Reward ...

* Disassemble the mag and look at the bottom of the follower ... You will see a little tab on the bolt locking piece.

* Depress this tab while sliding the bolt locking piece out from the mag body - a spring will come out as well

why does it always have to be a choice

why cant it just drop free when the bolt locks back

bolt locks back and lets me know im empty, i press mag release and mag drops thus allowing me to initiate mag change

12 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

although i guess if the bolt locks back it wouldnt be terrible to move your arm back to clear the mag 

basically like an ak except in shotgun plateform

i think this would only be an issue if you had mag problems.  as long as you are just mowing down like 15 targets on a stage theres no reason the first mag wouldnt be enough

exactly like an ar except no springs

take the grip off exactly like an ar, take the buttstock off exactly like an ar by unscrewing the screw in the back of the buffer tube

unscrew buffer tube and replace with your choice of stock and grip

What do you mean no springs ... Like the buffer retainer spring? I mean there is a buffer and spring in the tube that you need to compress while threading the new tube on, so kinda different from an AR

why does it always have to be a choice

why cant it just drop free when the bolt locks back

bolt locks back and lets me know im empty, i press mag release and mag drops thus allowing me to initiate mag change
I know ... But the design doesn't call for that

Just now, IntenseImage said:

What do you mean no springs ... Like the buffer retainer spring? I mean there is a buffer and spring in the tube that you need to compress while threading the new tube on, so kinda different from an AR

the safety spring that is held down by the retention plates in ARS is located under the buffer tube and plate

so in an AR if you unscrew the buffer tube be ready for a tiny spring to come jumping out at you from under the retention plate