Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar trigger tech questions

tk4

Everything else being equal, should you expect a higher pull weight trigger to last longer then a lower pull weight.   I have some cmc single stage triggers.   Theoretically Should the 4.5lb cmc last longer than the 3.5 version.

Is there any mechanical reason to believe that an adjustable ar trigger would be less durable than a fixed weight trigger?

If the adjustable trigger starts to double can you dial up more weight to make it reliable again?

How long a fire control system lasts depends to a large degree on choice of steel, heat treatment and lubrication. Pull weight should not have any practical effect on durability. A good quality adjustable system such as JP might lose engagement with long use, so you are right that resetting engagement would give it new life, where as a non adjustable system might need to be replaced if engagement wears away. Would take many thousands of cycles w a quality unit.

Mark

26 minutes ago, mpom said:

Pull weight should not have any practical effect on durability. 

I don't have an answer, but if I had to put my money down, I'd bet that

a lighter trigger pull would "wear" faster than a heavier trigger pull.

Not arguing, or even disagreeing, but it seems more logical to

assume lighter goes first.

Any supporting evidence to support your hypothesis ?

On 12/14/2018 at 10:23 AM, tk4 said:

Everything else being equal, should you expect a higher pull weight trigger to last longer then a lower pull weight.   I have some cmc single stage triggers.   Theoretically Should the 4.5lb cmc last longer than the 3.5 version.

Is there any mechanical reason to believe that an adjustable ar trigger would be less durable than a fixed weight trigger?

If the adjustable trigger starts to double can you dial up more weight to make it reliable again?

There isn't any reason to believe an adj. trigger is any less durable than fixed weight.  Keep in mind the weight change comes from heavier spring (red and yellow JP springs), not 'dialing'.  The only true 'weight adjustable' trigger that I know of is the AR TriggerTech, from 2.5 - 5.0 without changing external springs.  The JP is adjustable for engagement, not weight.

Haven't had any 'doubling' of any JPs, Hiperfire, Timney, and TriggerTech in the last 20 years of 3 gunning and many thousands of rounds from .223 to .308.  All of mine are at 3.0-3.5 lbs except the TriggerTech, it is at 2.8.

Edited by PacMan

21 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I don't have an answer, but if I had to put my money down, I'd bet that

a lighter trigger pull would "wear" faster than a heavier trigger pull.

Not arguing, or even disagreeing, but it seems more logical to

assume lighter goes first.

Any supporting evidence to support your hypothesis ?

Hyptothesis is based on concept that increased friction leads to faster wear compared to lesser friction, all else remaining the same.

In the JP FCG trigger pull weight depends only on the trigger return spring and hammer spring, as another poster mentioned, and a heavier trigger pull requires stronger springs, creating more pressure between the contact surfaces of hammer and trigger. More pressure leads to more friction.

I suspect difference in wear is only theoretical, as JP uses really hard steel and surfaces are kept well lubed w grease. No change in my trigger pull over thousands of rounds and dry firing cycles.

Also not arguing, but curious as to why lighter would "wear" first?

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by mpom
added question

On 12/16/2018 at 1:17 PM, mpom said:

Hyptothesis is based on concept that increased friction leads to faster wear compared to lesser friction, all else remaining the same.

In the JP FCG trigger pull weight depends only on the trigger return spring and hammer spring, as another poster mentioned, and a heavier trigger pull requires stronger springs, creating more pressure between the contact surfaces of hammer and trigger. More pressure leads to more friction.

I suspect difference in wear is only theoretical, as JP uses really hard steel and surfaces are kept well lubed w grease. No change in my trigger pull over thousands of rounds and dry firing cycles.

Also not arguing, but curious as to why lighter would "wear" first?

Thanks,

Mark

Yeah, I'm a 2011 guy.  You can expect the an ultra light, ultra crisp 1911 trigger won't last as long.  I'm wondering if the same holds true for a drop in AR trigger.