Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scale modeling

rowdyb

Like lots of kids I built a few crappy models as a 12 year old. But I recently got back into it as a late 40's adult and am really enjoying it now. Seemingly everything has changed in the past 30 years! How kits are made, techniques, available paints, aftermarket. Just so much.

Of course my first couple attempts back were not that good, but still way better than I ever did as a kid. But I'm getting better and it is something I enjoy if I need an indoor something to do or just want to get away from whatever.

20181122_075246_resized.jpg

48366259_10205683043113515_3045435278073266176_o.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool pics.

My wife and I found an old-fashioned hobby shop near us recently while looking to put together an HO train set for Christmas. She was very much taken by the current model car kits available. I see her working on some of them in the future. (She's craftier than me).

Would much rather deal there than do the Amazon thing for something like this. Local owners, hobbyists themselves and have a thriving hobby shop and added a gaming store nearby recently.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Modeling is definitely a time plus scoring event instead of hit factor. 

More like Bullseye I think, all the time in the world as long as its perfect.

I used to build WW2 era planes nonstop as a kid, those were some good times. Now that I'm older and could use a relatively inexpensive hobby that doesn't require explosive position exits and timers I might pick it back up again someday. My kids would dig it too.

Used to build model cars as a kid. (1/25 scale) Haven't done one since I was 15. One hobby I have kept up with since I was 6 yrs old is HO scale slot cars. Part of the fun of it is building bodies that are unique.

Bimbo 2.JPG

Trucks 01.JPG

Yep, if you totally had to start from scratch and you wanted tons of tools, paints, misc stuff, air brush set up you'd still only be out about $700 and have everything pretty dang nice.

I got a $50 iwata neo air brush. A $150 compressor. A complete flat acrylic tamiya paint set for $200. All the misc tools, tapes, sanders and such for $150. So 550 bucks and I feel like I have the 1050 plus bullet feeder set up for making models. No excuses at all.

But yeah, no hobby is cheap if you really get at it. I still haven't gotten up the courage to buy an expensive kit, like something more than $35 bucks. I see kits for like 75 and up at the lhs and I just can't bring myself to do it....

I've only ever built airplanes. But I am kinda interested in some monster figures tbh. Like Dracula, the Creature, Wolfman and so on. Like 50,60s sci fi stuff.

On 12/16/2018 at 4:02 AM, rowdyb said:

Sure like that as well, but thinking 60s era more so.

Some of my favorite race cars came from that era. And some of the most beautiful. The Ferrari 250 GTO and 250 LM,  Ford GT40, Lola T70, Ferrari 330 P3, Porsche 917....  A lot of great ones to choose from.