Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911A1 Spring Weights

9mmskng

Have a Norinco 1911A1, preban/‘93 mfg. Gun shoots 100%, accurate to boot. Want to drop down to #19 lb Hammer Spring, what Recoil Spring weight should I be at for steady diet of range reloads? I’m loading 4.0grs Bullseye, under 230gr Plated bullets, 1.260” OAL, definitely on the light side, have been loading this recipe for years.  Changed over to Wilson Full length guide rod, strictly preference, as stock rod/spring work fine.  Any help from guys ACTUALLY shooting 19 lb Hammer/?lb Recoil spring would be helpful

When I removed the ils mainspring housing from my Springfield armory full dust cover trp operator, I went to a 17lb wolff main spring coupled with a 15lb progressive recoil spring. I shot about-5k   of factory 230gr fmj on that setup. Mostly mag-tech and web. Then another 15k or so of handloads. 230 fmj or plates over 4.5gr of titegroup. Iirc, about 176pf. No real durability or reliability issues. Can't say it's optimal for recoil or not as its a heavy gun. At around 20k I moved away from.45 for cost reasons.

Later on I had a 2011 built from parts. Sent the gunsmith the same 17lb wolff mainspring. He chucked it saying it was over 17lbs. Whatever it actually is its lighter than the SA stock spring which claims 21lbs, and heavier than the spring my gunsmith claims is 17. 

Found the SWEET SPOT!  Stock recoil spring, Wilson #19 lb Hammer Spring, Wilson Full Length Guide Rod!  100% cycling with  ALL reloads, light to heavy.  Groupings tightened up a little bit also, I’m thinking that’s the Full length guide rod. Just wish I could find someone to put a decent set of sights on it!

• 2 weeks later...