Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 38super or 9mm

blue edge

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I vote none of the above ?  Chamber it in 40, can run major or minor, 9 round mags or 10,  Throat your barrel if needed and run `1.180-1.2 OAL in 10mm  no spacer mags. Brass easier to come by than 38 Super.
Use your 9 rounders for ESP IDPA minor , 10 or 8 rounders minor or major for USPSA depending on stage setups. Load her up with 220's and go bowling pinning.

What makes you say this?

Brass is hard to come by, as well just not as plentiful as 9mm.

“Brass is hard to come by”? That’s totally a subjective thought and one that I disagree with. I have 20k+ sitting on my bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Face5535 said:

“Brass is hard to come by”? That’s totally a subjective thought and one that I disagree with. I have 20k+ sitting on my bench.

I thought I was set with 5 k sitting around.

1 hour ago, Face5535 said:

46 minutes ago, mayassa said:

I thought I was set with 5 k sitting around.

How are you guys getting so much brass, just picking it up after matches? I am new to 38 Super, so looking for all the information and cheap brass I can get my hands on.

3 hours ago, Laxman2809 said:

I know i can buy it new, and I plan to for my match ammo. However I would love a cheap/free source of once fired brass to train with.

I bought mine new, I mark mine and pick it up after shooting it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well since we are playing pretend and 38 super and 9mm brass is the same price, I'd be all in with 38 super... But  in the real world its not.. I shoot 9 major.

Edited by Underwood
type -o

Between DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore and Corbon, I counted 14 loads in 38 super to satisfy the defensive carry group.  Lots more if you don't mind carrying fmj (I don't mind).  If a person does not reload, 9mm is and always will be cheaper to shoot in practice  and matches.  I still prefer the 38 super, 38 SC and 9x23. 

Very intersting thread, but the question about minor wasn’t answered or maybe I missed it. A long time ago when I found IPSC the choices were much smaller for firearm and caliber. I was a teenager and didn't want to deal with 45ACP recoil so my competition gun was a Colt series 70 in 38 Super with a Bar-Sto barrel hopped up a bit to make major.

Unless I’m trying to make major, especially with what we have available today, I’m rocking the 9mm poodle shooter. Caveat is I don’t own a 9mm smallest semi other than the 22 in the safe is 40 S&W. However given the original question....9mm all day. Ammo is cheap, brass is plentiful, you can make major if you want, you don’t need an aftermarke barrel to fix the headspacing nightmare of the factory barrels of yesteryear, and I have yet to find anyone at the range with a 9mm 1911 that has feeding issues so that arguement doesn’t hold water for me.

Now I need to look at getting a 9 just to have, even though my 12yr old says I can’t.....thanks for the thought provoking question though.

• 1 month later...

Well I bought a Dan Wessom PM38. I had it 6 weeks  befor I had a chance to shoot it. It seems to have some feed problems.

I have tried McCormick, Mec Gar and Metalform. So far the Metalform runs the best, but still not %100

Ill try wilsons next?

On 12/13/2018 at 8:56 PM, jcc7x7 said:

9mm mags are not a problem

Ramped bbl.'s solve feeding issue

and 9's are simple to get running

All sorts of ammo is available if you need to buy it

Reloading is simple

but

I do really like the 38 super cartridge

+1

The problem I have with 9mm 1911 mags is the spacer.  I load long for Open and wanted to use the same length ammo in minor in the 1911 Open gun.  I haven't found a 1911 9mm mag yet that will reliably feed 1.161" OAL ammo.  I tried taking the spacers out, but that was inconsistent.  After trying several brands I decided I liked the Brownell's (Metalform) mags the best.  So I'll just load my minor ammo to 1.150".  That length feeds flawlessly.

For some reason, everyone seems to put really stiff springs in 9mm 1911 mags.  It is really hard to strip a round by hand if the mag is full.